Thread: Hvac unit size

Post Likes

Hvac unit size

Were currently putting a 720 sq ft on our home which will have a seperate cooling and heating unit. Load calculations call for 1.4 ton cooling unit and 25920 btu heating unit. My HVAC contractor is putting in a split system with the furnace rated at 45 000 BTU Rheem Mdl# RGTA04EMAES and Cooling coil Rheem RCFLHM2417AC, Rated 18000-24000 BTU. Seems too much. I heard one on the installers say it was a 2 ton unit. When I questioned the contractor he said he could adjust the unit so it puts out 1.5 ton. Why I,m I paying for a larger unit that needs to have adjustments made? Does Rheem make a 1.5 ton split unit if so I,m I getting ripped off. I made it clear i didn,t want an oversized unit in the beginning but it looks like thats what I,m getting. Can anyone advise.

Post Likes
    They make a 1.5 ton condenser unit and evap. coil.

I don't think the contractor is trying to rip you off. 1/2 ton difference is very minimal in pricing.

Ask to contractor what he is willing to do if the system short cycles on the hottest days. He may be able to dump a small supply in another area of the house?

Do you have humidity issues in your location. What part of the country are you from? Maybe the pros can give more info as to proper selection.

Post Likes
    RCFLHM2417AC is a match for the UANL018JAZ condensing unit. The UGTA04 is as small as they go. Relax. I bet it will be fine although A mini- split may have been a better option due to low load
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    You can't adjust a unit but as the boys have said, that coils works on a 1.5 ton outdoor unit.

Are your electric rates very high? Might have made more sense to go with an electric furnace instead of the gas. Or better yet, heat pump with electric backup. That sounds like about 7.5 kw heat loss.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in