Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hrv help

Ontario is law Im sure

I think it is law in Ontario now. Go with HRV and not passive. It will keep your air healthier, save you money on heating and balance pressures for appliances.
    Do it right the first time.

where in ON, Maybe I can help.
    Email is in the profile.
    something to think about is that if you live in a house that is older than 6 months you can get a house audit for 250 dollars and get 600 dollars to a new HRV from the government. We do it all the time.
    Just a thought.
    If at first you don't succeed; charge, charge, charge again.

Quote Originally Posted by indep View Post
    Thanks for the detailed answer teddy bear,
    for the dehumidifer I was thinking of getting a portable one for the basement to get rid of all the humidity there. I didnt' really think of upstairs and so on since the HRV would take care of that, no?
    honestly i am no expert and this has me confused, i just want something that will take care of the fresh air, so from what i understand, i should get something similar to: Ultra-Aire 150H Whole House Ventilating Dehumidifier?
    Do not feel bad about understanding the problem, most don't. The problem is your outside air is loaded with moisture all summer. The HRV will not dry your home unless the outside air is dry. The outside must have a dew point less than 50^F to dry the inside. You still need fresh air when you are in your home, regardless of the moisture content.
    I think a smaller unit like the UA 90H will do for your climate. Residential dehus do not have the efficiency, durability, and fan power to bring fresh air into your home, filter the air and circulate the air. You need fresh air ventilation not necessarily an HRV. Also consider that the exhaust devices like the kitchen hood, clothes drier, and bath fans need make-up air to function. Be prepared to explain this to many, most techs do not understand these concepts. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Quote Originally Posted by indep View Post
    Thanks for the detailed answer teddy bear,
    for the dehumidifer I was thinking of getting a portable one for the basement to get rid of all the humidity there. I didnt' really think of upstairs and so on since the HRV would take care of that, no?
    honestly i am no expert and this has me confused, i just want something that will take care of the fresh air, so from what i understand, i should get something similar to: Ultra-Aire 150H Whole House Ventilating Dehumidifier?
    HRVs on take care of moisture when the outdoor dew point (moisture level) is below 50^F. During the spring/summer/early fall, fresh contains more moisture than you want. You need to remove a minimum of 20-60 lbs. of moisture per day to maintain <50%RH throughout your home. During hot weather, your a/c will remove the 60 lbs. of moisture per day. During cool wet weather your dehu must remove the moisture. Most residential units are unable to remove that amount of moisture. Ultra-Aire/Santa Fe whole house or ventilating whole house dehus are able to provide fresh make-up ventilation and remove as moisture as you want. thermastor.com has more info. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Have your contractor duct the home for an HRV unit now and install the unit at a later date when funds are available

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12