Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Carrier Infinity Concerns

Hello I am new here and I was hoping that I could find some insight here on how to make my HVAC unit perform better.

We had a home built a little over a year ago and chose to have a Carrier Infinity system installed. Our house is 3200 sq ft single story. Our house has a lot of volume we have some 14’ ceilings and the rest are 12’. The installers installed 2 5 ton SEER 21 units outside and then the AFU’s (I think that’s what they are called) in the attic. We have zoning on each unit one unit cools 3 zones (Living Room, Master Bed, and Kitchen/Nook). The other cools 4 zones (Dining, Bedroom 1,2 Bedroom 3, and the Media Room) We have the Infinity control system for each and remote room sensors in each room. We live in the high desert in CA and our outside temps in the summer can reach 110+.

Now for my few questions. Sometimes the air comes out of the vents and it is really loud is this normal? We keep the house set at about 76 when we are here and the units seem to turn on an off all day. On for 10 mins and then off for maybe 30. Is there a way to program the units better that what I am doing. I have programmed them too cool in the morning to 76 and them shut off when we are not home until 83. Then come back on in the evening and stay at 76. Sometimes I do just use the hold function on the control if I am not comfortable. I guess at some point we had an issue with static pressure the came back and put in another return air duct for each unit. The return sizes are 20X30 with 1” filters in them. I don’t know how to check the static pressure on the control they did not show me. So I can report those numbers. Another thing is this summer our electric bills have been extremely high. I know I haven’t told you about all off my electric uses but I am sure the HVAC is my largest load. We have a gas dryer, stove, water heater…. Last month we used over 2500kWh of power and our bill was almost $600. Maybe this is normal I don’t know. I am just looking to get the best out of my HVAC system. Thanks for the time…BTW the model numbers on the units are 24ANA160A300…..

Oh I should have mentioned that our ducts run through the attic. We also have the Radient barroer install on the roof and our exterior walls are insulated with R-21 and I beleive its R-38 in the attic....

wow 10 tons for 3500 sq. ft seems like alot, hard telling not know how your house sits on the lot how many windows, etc. How did your HVAC contractor arrive at the conclusion that you needed 2 5-ton units? Theres alot of guys on here that are smarter than I am but I'd day that by the fact the equipment short cycles (on then off then on then off) you may be undersized. The Infinity which utilizes multistage compressors are designed for longer run times for to provide greater comfort by high humidity removal (which humidity may not be a real concern where you are).

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Noise in some zones at times ,like coming out of setback is normal,but can't tell from here how much noise you have.

Static;Hold the advanced button for 10 seconds,then service ,can't remember exactly it's intuitive.Also a checkout feture for zoning that likely includes static .

If you have brought up these issues with them,you may need to have them get a Carrier Rep involved to assist them.

I don't remember if you hold the toggle key just above the heat/cool buttons for several seconds and release it the system will display current status but I don't remember (I don't think so now that I think about it) if it will display static pressure. Like dash said if you go under service menu to Service menu and then select Fan Coil status it will report to you current static pressure, etc.

Thanks for the quick help....here is a run down of on units results from the checkout

Duct assessment
    Zone Cap
    Master Bed 34%
    Living 16%
    Nook 39%
    Damper Leakage 11%

AC Check
    Ac high cool
    Airflow cfm 1750
    Coil temp 92-95
    Outdoor temp 89-90
    Blower rpm 1293-1300
    Static pressure 1.22-1.25
    Line volts 229

Ac Low cool
    Airflow CFM 1400
    Coil Temp 95
    Outdoor Temp 90
    Blower RPM 1079
    Static Pressure .91
    Line volts 229

Equipment Summary
    Furnace 58mvb100-f
    Ac 2 stg 60 kbtu
    Filter eac
    Zones 123

What does the utility saver do?

The faults listed are

161 excess static pressure stagedown 15 events
    31-high pressure switch open 1 event
    32 low pressure switch open 10 events
    zone 2 airflow limited shutdown occured 2 events
    12-blower on after power up 2 events

There seesm to be a lot of A/C cycles listed too:
    Power 15
    Low cool 5941
    High cool 443

Static with all zones calling in high stage compressor,should be no more then .70,IMHO.

Call your installer,there's some duct changes need.

Sounds like over sized equipment.
    And undersized duct work.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The other unit has similar numbers and faults

With the execption of
    34-Ignition Fault 2 faults
    42 Inducer Fault 1 event
    excess pressure
    limited airflow shutdown

Cycles are

Power 19
    Low cool 4458
    High Cool 200

We only have one installer here an they did the install I wonder how much help they will actully be....heck they didnt even set the time and date in the unit....

can I call Carrier directly?

You most definitely have an issue with ductwork. First of all your ESP is wicked high, you've probably received notifications to change your filters, btw how are your filters? Secondly, your blower rpms are high as well. Not to get to technical but the infinity control uses whats called the Cutback Algorithim. The blower motor is constantly reporting data back to the user interface obviously, thats how you're seeing all that data on the screen. When the blower starts turning more than 1200 rpms, it sends flags the the user interface to start reducing the blower rpm by 50 rpm's and this will continue until the unit reaches its minimum airflow. Its good to see though you're running most of the time in low stage thats how its supposed to be.

The likely turned the filter alert function off,so they at least learned how do do something in the manual!!! lol!!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast