Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

strange exhaust fume like odor in home

Hi, for the last couple of days I have noticed an odor in the house that smells like exhaust fumes when I turn on the air conditioner. I live in the nevada desert and the unit is mounted on the roof of the house and is a combination heating and a/c unit. I had a technician look at it today and he said there is nothing wrong with it and it cools adequetely. I know there must be something wrong because the odor persists when it is running and smells like carbon monoxide exhaust fumes. does anyone have any idea what may be going on here with the unit ? thanks

Carbon Monoxide has no odor, BUT natural gas has an odor. Your system turned to cool wouldn't use gas. It could be something else.

Could be a water heater or a leak in a gas pipe.

You should call your gas supplier immediately.

the a/c section of the unit operates on 220 vac. the odor is more like a car engine exhaust smell but I am perplexed as to how an electric compressor could transfer an odor like that to the blower and into the air ducts.

The odor probably isn't from your A/C unit. The odor is coming from your indoor unit. The fan in the indoor unit has to operate, along with other associate electricl components when the outdoor unit is on. How old is your indoor unit? When was the last time it was serviced? Not just looked at but actually cleaned.

Do you have an attached garage on your home?

Is there a gas fired water heater or any other gas appliances located inside the home?
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

OP said it was a package unit on the roof. Is the house near a busy highway/freeway? Neighbor next door running a generator, lawn mower, etc.? Smell only intermittent when a/c runs or all the time when a/c runs (night or day, every cycle)? Is there a fresh air intake on the return plenum on the roof? If not, I'd still look to see if leaks have developed in the return ducting, anywhere along its path.

I would also heed the advice about having any possible natural gas leaks eliminated from the equation, and have all gas burning appliances checked for proper combustion and venting.

where are you located have seen this several times on rtu
    set ups but never described as co fumes

his drain is probably not trapped

thats most likely the place where the smell/CO gas is entering!

i am not giving DIY advice, i am just trying to extend the OP's life span!

have to agree about the trap
    also may dropped in to a vent pipe & not trapped.

thanks for the replies. there is only the outdoor unit on the roof connected to a duct array. Area is rural and no other appliances in home except for refrigerator, washer ,dryer all electric.. I believe now that the odor is more closely related to overheated lube oil of some kind. the odor itself is weak and not pronounced but it is there in every room. the HVAC tech said that he couldn't smell anything but I believe that after 30 minutes in the house you will smell it. Is it possible a bearing is worn and overheating creating the fumes and is being sucked into the blower vortex ? I had the same problem last year with the heating section and the house was filled with fumes.that turned out to be the fan blades that fell off the induction motor and it was natural gas operated but the a/c is electrical only. after living in a house for over 10 years you get to know all the sounds and smells and this smell is something new.

well you have a gas furance-- did the hvac tech check for gas leaks while he was there??doesn't matter if you have electric a/c unit if it is also a gas furance - smell could be sucked in when blower comes on-- does it smell like a rotten egg??

Hi and thanks to all for your replies. I left the house for a week and left the A/C on and just returned. the only appliance on was the frig. There was no odor.That's good. the problem either cleared itself up or the smell must be coming from my big screen tv which is an older one, a projection kind I think. If I start to smell it again I'll know it is the tv since the house smells clean now. thanks all

Confused Any Ideas ANYONE??

Ok, here's what's going on at my house, I swear I smell exhaust in the house but I am smelling it when nothing is running. We live in Big Spring TX and there is an oil refinery here in town and the wind is always blowing, could the smell be coming in through our vents from the refinery? We do have a gas furnace but I am smelling this odor when NOTHING is running, in the summer when the air conditioner is running I smell nothing and once in awhile when the furnace runs I think I smell something for a few minutes then it goes away. My husband and friends say they smell nothing. I have the furnace serviced every year and nobody has ever indicated that we have a leak. But, I also smell this odor when I am outside of my house, at Walmart and another area grocery store. Any ideas ANYONE? I am beginning to think I am imagining this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast