Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sausage Gravy

I add a little sour cream. gives it good flavor.

New England style.

2 lbs MacKensie Vermont sausage meat.
    1 lb cheap sausage meat. Armour or equal.
    1 med to large onion.
    Olive oil.
    1 tablespoon K-Paul "Meat Magic"
    Milk
    Thickening flour like Wondra.

Dice up onion and sauté it in a large (not cast iron ) pot. Use the olive oil for sautéing.

When the onions are transparent start adding the sausage meat. Break it up well. Add the Meat Magic as you go.

When the meat mixture is completely cooked, put it in a colander and let the fat drain away. Return the meat back to the pot. Cover the meat with room temperature milk. 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch above the surface of the meat. Heat the mixture up to just below simmer and thicken it with the Wondra flour.
    ~~~~~~
    Go easy on the milk/gravy. I think the biggest turn off when I eat out is when the cook try to make 55 gallons of sausage gravy with 1 lb. of sausage.
    Last edited by Green Mountain; 08-25-2008 at 11:06 AM.

Sounds good but I bet it aint got nothing on Hardees.

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    Sounds good but I bet it aint got nothing on Hardees.

Sarcasm? Or have you seen the light.

Something I lerned from Julia a time ago is if the gravy is too thin Wondra instant blending flour can be added and not have that uncooked flour taste.
    If the sausage is lean I'll toss in some butter. Sometimes I'll toss it in anyway.

Sometimes I'll use half & half instead of milk. We don't use milk much and H&H has a really long shelf life.
    But simply sausage, milk, flour, salt, pepper.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

Something I lerned from Julia a time ago is if the gravy is too thin Wondra instant blending flour can be added and not have that uncooked flour taste.
    If the sausage is lean I'll toss in some butter. Sometimes I'll toss it in anyway.

Sometimes I'll use half & half instead of milk. We don't use milk much and H&H has a really long shelf life.

And if the gravy looks just right in the pan it will be too thick on the plate. It thickens as it cools so let it be a little thin in the pan.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

sweet sausage normally use about 5 lbs of them boil them in a big pot, never poke them with a fork if you want them soft.
    once there don use like four 29 oz cans of tuttorosso tomato sause in another big pot teas spoon of sugar, some spices let the sausage sit in that for a few hrs on a real low flame then them thing get so soft like butter .
    remember if you poke them with a fork they stay hard

then we make macaroni and have with some riccatto pot cheese
    great dish

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
    sweet sausage normally use about 5 lbs of them boil them in a big pot, never poke them with a fork if you want them soft.
    once there don use like four 29 oz cans of tuttorosso tomato sause in another big pot teas spoon of sugar, some spices let the sausage sit in that for a few hrs on a real low flame then them thing get so soft like butter .

great dish
    So this is a recipe for a marinara type meat sauce for pasta, correct?. This isn't your breakfast variety of sausage gravy??

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post

great dish

just pondering if this would be called a sausage dish, yes maybe but the gravy is red. so if eaten at breakfast it'll need some garlic toast right I love garlic toast for breakfast..
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

Quote Originally Posted by A/C guy's chick View Post
    just pondering if this would be called a sausage dish, yes maybe but the gravy is red. so if eaten at breakfast it'll need some garlic toast right I love garlic toast for breakfast..

if he is italian, it's gravy until it hits the pasta...then it is sauce

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post

And if the gravy looks just right in the pan it will be too thick on the plate. It thickens as it cools so let it be a little thin in the pan.
    To thicken gravy thats too thin: Mix cold water and flour, add to gravy and boil. Corn starch works too, just use much less.

Quote Originally Posted by illdoit View Post
    if he is italian, it's gravy until it hits the pasta...then it is sauce
    In Philly, it's called "red gravy" whether it is simmering on the stove or ladled over al dente pasta.

I start with Jimmy Dean Hot, brown up and add two heaping soup spoons of flour, add milk to 3/4 full on a #8 Griswold. Add a touch of Kitchen Bouquet. I was taught by my grandmother and the old timers would never dream of serving white gravy. Sometimes I do onions sometimes not.

Bodeen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast