Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sausage Gravy

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada

Sausage Gravy

What's your recipe for sausage gravy?
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

HARDEES. Its 99cents +/- with a bisquit, and you cant make it any better. I anit lying. Their gravy is the BEST.

My wife always cooks sausage then uses that grease to make the gravy. then you break up some sausage and throw it in as well.

Bob Evans. Two Biscuits and a bowl of gravy with bacon and ham on the side. Throw in some home fries and a couple of pancakes. YUM YUM. What do you mean my blood type is grease+ and my chloestrial is over 400? My wife uses black coffee when she makes redeyed gravey.

Quote Originally Posted by key View Post
    I brown and crumble my sausage which usually doesnt produce enough grease. You leave the sausage in the pan. Add enough grease or oil to accomodate about 1/4 cup of flour. When I say accomodate I mean you want a paste a little thinner than pudding. I let the sausage/paste mixture bubble for a few minutes, which cooks the flour so you wont have flour tasting gravy. Once Im satisfied the flour is cooked I add my milk. This is where you either fail or succeed at making gravy. I take my mixture off the heat and SLOWLY add milk. You must stir like a madman while adding your milk or it will clump. Add enough milk to get a runny mixture. Put back onto the heat and stir constantly till it boils. Once it begins to boil the gravy should be thick. If not you didnt have enough flour or you added too much milk.

Sorry if you want xact measurements. My grandmother taught me how and there was no "recipie", just many years of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime View Post
    HARDEES. Its 99cents +/- with a bisquit, and you cant make it any better. I anit lying. Their gravy is the BEST.
    You have got to be out of your bloody mind. I cant make it better?? You must not have ever had REAL gravy.

If you like gravy made from a mix than yea go to Hardees. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    I brown and crumble my sausage which usually doesnt produce enough grease. You leave the sausage in the pan. Add enough grease or oil to accomodate about 1/4 cup of flour. When I say accomodate I mean you want a paste a little thinner than pudding. I let the sausage/paste mixture bubble for a few minutes, which cooks the flour so you wont have flour tasting gravy. Once Im satisfied the flour is cooked I add my milk. This is where you either fail or succeed at making gravy. I take my mixture off the heat and SLOWLY add milk. You must stir like a madman while adding your milk or it will clump. Add enough milk to get a runny mixture. Put back onto the heat and stir constantly till it boils. Once it begins to boil the gravy should be thick. If not you didnt have enough flour or you added too much milk.

Sorry if you want xact measurements. My grandmother taught me how and there was no "recipie", just many years of practice.
    You make it like I do. The War Department (Hubby) likes it mourning , noon and night if I make it all the time. I like it over biscuits , he like's it over toast, but I add honey over mine, yum , yum
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

Quote Originally Posted by key View Post
    Tell my sweetie I want some

I'm with ar man on this. Just a little less flour. Salt and pepper to taste
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    You have got to be out of your bloody mind. I cant make it better?? You must not have ever had REAL gravy.

If you like gravy made from a mix than yea go to Hardees. Yuck.
    Talk is cheap. Have you ever had Hardees gravy? Can you send me a sample of your gravy for me to test? Send me the gravy, and if its as good as you claim, I will retract my statement. Until then, Hardees is King.

There is this place near me thats makes awesome Sausage Gray. I swear I could drink it from the bowl.

I do it pretty much like Hvac-man. Like he says it's a trial and error thing. The 1st time I ended up with like a 1/2 gallon of gravy. 1st it was too thin so I added more flour. Then it was too thick so I added more milk. Then it was too thick etc.....

Although I like Hardees gravy and biscuits it don't match up to home made.

My wife don't do well with sausage so I make her bacon gravy w/no pepper.

Cool Grandmama's gravy

She always used LARD, and flour to make her gravy, she would brown the gravy in cast iron skillet.
    Maybe 2 tablespoons of lard
    1/2 cup flour
    black pepper/salt

Brown it like I mean cook the flour , then add milk and cook sausage in another pan crumbled up and pour gravy into sausage pan and serve with homemade biscuits.

I still remember it , but have never been able to copy it exactly.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast