Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Compressor blew up

I got a service call yesterday, a four Kysor Warren Delli cases were warm. First thing after arrive was checked a 4HP condensing unit, found off, no power in disconnect. Checked breaker panel, circuit breaker tripped. I reset. Back to compressor (located in dark attic of building), turn on disconnect, condenser fans run and compressor made strong noise, i shot off disconnect quickly.

Someone came to attic and asked me what happens becouse heard that noise, I said him compressor is broken, and trying to show him directly I turn on power again. This time, fans run but compressor was silent, nothing noise. I tried to explane to the guy that compressor was completely dead, when, strong explosion with flame shaking me (connector pins expeled out), a big cloud came fast. My first reaction was shut power off, quickly turn on an exhaust fan close to me, and got away. I didn't see the other guy, run more quickly than me. Afortunately nothing else happen, replaced compressor, and for now everything looks ok.

First time I see something like this, I would like read others experiences like this one, and reasonable explanations about why this happen, and how avoid personal damages in this kind of problems.

Thanks for opinions.
    JS

Quote Originally Posted by josan6 View Post

First time I see something like this, I would like read others experiences like this one, and reasonable explanations about why this happen, and how avoid personal damages in this kind of problems.

Thanks for opinions.
    JS
    Maybe because of your troubleshooting technique, did you check the fuses to check for single phasing?

Breaker tripped? fuses blown? time to pull out that meter and start checking for shorts/ground. only after you verify no shorts/grounds should that tripped breaker be reset.

I have to say you should have checked the loads right away when a breaker is tripped. Also I gotta ask what in the hell were you thinking resetting and starting a compressor two more times after you knew it was screwed. You just caused a triple burnout and created lots of acid in your system let alone putting yourself in harms way which I guess you know now.

Compressor Blew Up

Happened to me five years ago . Service call on a/c roof top unit . While hooking up gauge to check pressure , compressor terminal blew up . Refrigerant and oil were shooting out . Got away from unit quick .Never knew I can move that fast . It was a old unit .Sold owner a new unit .

Had that happen to me in 1973. Chrysler Air Temp 3-/12 ton a/c. Brand new install and on start up when I turned on disconnect the fusetite plug blew out and it was like a flame trower for about 2 seconds. Scared the livin' hell outta me. Suction line filter dryer, ll dryer, the whole bit. Ran ok after that.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

flying piston

it happen to me in 2005 i found a 4D seized-up told my super that i needed a new pump he didnt believe me so he came down to see for himself when he got there he turn-on the pump a piston came flying out along with everything else never seen anything like that he had alot of questions to answer for that the company ended up buying windows for the office next door nobody hurt

when troubleshooting a tripped breaker, that breaker does not get reset until a: all loads are ohmed. if they ohm out good, then b: megger. by not checking these things, you could have gotten yourself and the customer killed when that pump exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by tjc76 View Post
    when troubleshooting a tripped breaker, that breaker does not get reset until a: all loads are ohmed. if they ohm out good, then b: megger. by not checking these things, you could have gotten yourself and the customer killed when that pump exploded.
    I'll second that. Never reset a breaker or replace a fuse without finding the reason it blew !

Was it something I read or heard before if the compressor is started under a vacuum things like this could happen.

I've had one blow on a scroll before.

Same thing customer kept resetting the breaker before they called

Big mess for me
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Was it something I read or heard before if the compressor is started under a vacuum things like this could happen.

I've had one blow on a scroll before.

Same thing customer kept resetting the breaker before they called

Big mess for me
    funny you mention that someone jumped out a trane board on a tellipak unit at a muvico after a hurricane 2yr ago well some how the 25ton scroll just blew all the terminals out i thought scrolls were bullet proof. lol

Dumbest thing I saw was in a Chinese Restaurant where they duct-taped the reset on the high pressure control. Water company turned off water to building because of broken main. That compressor was HOTTER THAN THE FOURTH OF JULY.

Quote Originally Posted by josan6 View Post
    ok, what have you learned since you posted?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast