Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Condensate pan repair

Can you guys tell me the best product to use to plug up some holes in a condensate pan inside an AHU? Large holes, rusty pan.....you know.....no $$ to replace it by they dont like water on the floor?

anywhooo, thought I'd ask those who REALLY KNOW.

thanks!

I've seen auxilliary drain pans slid underneath leaky air handlers before. This is not an ideal fix because sometimes the water leak inside the AHU keeps the insulation wet which is not very healthy.

Pancrete. Kind of pricey though if they are not wanting to spend any money..

DO what you would do in your own home

If you decide to try and fix it, which I wouldnt, Id be sure and note no guarantee on my invoice.

If it was my customer Id just tell em straight up, new coil or keep mopping.

Try this - cut sheet metal pieces (slightly larger than the holes) and place over the holes, seal the sheet metal piece with Aviation Sealant - Loctite maeks it, should be able to find it - apply with a paint brush - you can seal the whole pan with it if you are up for it as well while youre in there, wont have any more holes form in the future.

Pro Pox works great. Epoxy putty in a stick form. Break off the amount you need and work it together in your hand. Works the balls. I got it at plumbing supply house.

Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    Pancrete. Kind of pricey though if they are not wanting to spend any money..
    This is the best stuff you can buy just keep it moveing away from the from the drain when applying .

Why does this thread make me laugh?

My god, if your going to take the pan loose from the coil and add metal scraps why not just build you a nice new pan. Get some metal, a 2 x4, hammer, and some silicone and go to work!

I would see if the home owner can get a home improvement loan. Some cities have where low income families the county or city helps out. If the pan is leaking what does the furnace heatexchanger look like. Usually if it is a meatal pan the unit is on its last leg. Systems average life is 20 yrs. I have seen some that have been maintained last 50 but those are rare.

Bandaging this unit is not the right answer due to money! You should tell the customer what you know is right. If an honest answer doesn't encourage them pass them the mop bucket and show them where to sign your ticket!

Condensate drip pan material

I expierenced a new material that meets the fire code, if you have any questions call 8632212535.

If that pan is as bad as it sounds, you really should think about trying to convince the owner to replace the pan. The only way to know how many leaks this pan has is to remove it and check out the bottom and then you could have replaced it anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast