Identifying commercial HVAC system

Hello all,

I am energy assessor I am having real difficulty identifying HVAC systems. Although my background is in mechanical engineering, I'm fine with the theory/calculations etc but when I am carrying out site surveys, I always have difficulty determining which system is installed.

I am working on a couple of projects and have some pics of the system (i will be more than happy to email them to you). If anyone can show me right path on how to improve my knowledge. It 'll be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Strange that this hasn't gotten any responces....Why would you take the easy way out and ask folks to do your job? You could Google everything...

How can you assess energy in a HVAC system if you don't even know what you are looking at? You engineers kill me.
    It might get loud!

At the company I worked for prior to going into business, we did plenty of energy audits and retrofit projects. It was not uncommon to do say twenty schools in a summer. At any rate, we kept the parties seperate in that those who knew how to audit the bills did just that, and those who knew how to survey, rate, and adjust the installed systems did that. Having one person who thinks they are an expert at both is akin to thinking you can do custom woodwork by watching this old house. You may turn off the tv with good intentions, but you will waste a lot of woodwork trying to be like norm. Good luck in your endeavors though....

Quote Originally Posted by lipsoffurry View Post
    Strange that this hasn't gotten any responces....Why would you take the easy way out and ask folks to do your job? You could Google everything...
    I forgot to mention that I am new to the industry and a trainee, but learning fast. Rather than criticise, can someone actually give some usefull advice. And this subject could do without the negative comments as I'm sure I won't be only one with this issue.

The question you ask is difficult to answer in a forum format. If you're new to the HVAC industry, I would suggest taking courses on HVAC fundamentals (heat transfer, load calcs, hydronics; duct design, etc) through ASHRAE (are you a member...if not correct that ASAP). They have some great on-line courses, and the local chapters have Basic HVAC classes.

Once you know the fundamentals, learning system types comes easier.

This process will take more time that you like, but that's why you're not going to get alot of responses here. You've got alot of basics to learn before you can identify system types.
    Last edited by flyrfan; 08-19-2008 at 08:02 AM. Reason: spelling

This must be a joke and if its not you need to get out of the office were everything works and into the feild were things some times need to be REENGINERED cause of peoplelike this only know paper calculations and not practical app. That is why you are getting the responds you are.

FWIW I spent over 25 years in the field doing HVAC mechanical and controls work before jumping over to the energy analysis side of things.

I am currently working on a couple of contracts where we are guaranteeing between 10 and 14 million in savings on each, so I am neck deep in the energy world now.

IMO you have a long road ahead of you if you want to be proficient at energy analysis as it relates to the HVAC field, but have never put your hands on HVAC systems.

I'm afraid I have no easy answer for you, other then spend as much time as you can on as many different systems as you can, and be aware of your limitations.

I take it you have done the CEM deed?
    Last edited by x-wrenchturner; 08-19-2008 at 03:58 PM.
    IlovemyjobIlovemyjobIlovemyjob....say it with me now!

the dreaded doubble post...
    Last edited by x-wrenchturner; 08-19-2008 at 03:55 PM.
    IlovemyjobIlovemyjobIlovemyjob....say it with me now!