Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    83

    looking to move to Austin Texas need help.

    hey everyone, I have been in contact with a company in Austin Texas that is willing to train me. So I was wondering if there is anyone on here who lives there and is willing to give me insight on living in that area. what I mean is as far as expenses, activities etc for a single person.

    ps. Im sorry if the thread title was misleading... I tried to change it
    Last edited by jmac055; 08-15-2008 at 06:20 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac055 View Post
    hey everyone, I have been in contact with a company in Austin Texas that is willing to train me. So I was wondering if there is anyone on here who lives there and is willing to give me insight on living in that area. what I mean is as far as expenses, activities etc for a single person.
    Austin's one of the best places for singles.
    http://austin.about.com/cs/lifestyle/a/singles2002.htm

    Austin is a good city for single people. Lots of hip young people.
    Lots of colleges, the University of Texas, Concordia College, St Edwards University, Austin Community College has several campus.
    Lake Travis is close by. The city has many parks.
    A good music scene with live bands. Lots of young people here.
    Lots of restaurants.
    A high tech area with Dell and AMD as employers.
    Apartment rent is above $500 a month for a one bedroom.

    A link to the Austin Chamber of Commerce.
    http://www.austin-chamber.org/LiveWo...uickfacts.html

    Lots of AC companies here. Some great, some ok, some not ok.
    New residential construction has slowed down here. Commercial construction appears to be going ok.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by allan38 View Post
    Austin's one of the best places for singles.
    http://austin.about.com/cs/lifestyle/a/singles2002.htm

    Austin is a good city for single people. Lots of hip young people.
    Lots of colleges, the University of Texas, Concordia College, St Edwards University, Austin Community College has several campus.
    Lake Travis is close by. The city has many parks.
    A good music scene with live bands. Lots of young people here.
    Lots of restaurants.
    A high tech area with Dell and AMD as employers.
    Apartment rent is above $500 a month for a one bedroom.

    A link to the Austin Chamber of Commerce.
    http://www.austin-chamber.org/LiveWo...uickfacts.html

    Lots of AC companies here. Some great, some ok, some not ok.
    New residential construction has slowed down here. Commercial construction appears to be going ok.
    thanks, the company that I've been in contact does refrigeration which my guess is that part of the field has been doing fairly well

    what part of that town should I look into an apartment at?
    do you happen to know fitter33? he is the person that I have been in contact for a job.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac055 View Post
    thanks, the company that I've been in contact does refrigeration which my guess is that part of the field has been doing fairly well

    what part of that town should I look into an apartment at?
    do you happen to know fitter33? he is the person that I have been in contact for a job.
    I don't know him yet.
    Refrigeration work is supposed to be steadier. All commercial and no attic work.
    Training as a fridgie tech, go for it! I wish I'd found that opportunity out of school.

    I like the south part of town. 78745 zip code, good access to the highways.
    78744 is less expensive but rougher.
    Lots of areas, mostly good, a few not so good. Several are expensive and there are exceptions to any generalization.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    83
    yeah I was looking at that part of the town from the beginning, it looked like the area I would want to live in.

    thanks for the info.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,733
    Allen38 gave you some good advice. 78745 good area, some parts of
    78704 are good also, but getting expensive. Just make sure your job
    is locked in. Austin is an expensive city to live in while looking for a
    job.

    78756 also a good area to live in but a little more expensive that 78745.

  7. #7
    John Culpepper's Avatar
    John Culpepper is offline CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS Professional Member*
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    1,776
    I live in Lockhart and work in Austin. My house bill is substantially lower than living in Austin. Just factor in your gasoline for the difference. I own my own home in Lockhart and drive 30 miles each way to work. To each their own.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

    How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

    Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    870
    Lockhart is a great town with terrific bar-b-q.
    One of the nicer small towns in the Austin area.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

  9. #9
    I feel the need to weigh in here. As with everything, there are pro's and cons. I have been living in ATX for 8 months and cant wait to get back to Houston. It's a VERY pretentious, white collar town. Cost of living is more and pay is typically lower. All the UT grads want to stick around in town and are willing to work for next to nothing. It's an extremely liberal place (think california, boulder colorado etc). Tons of homeless people.

    On other hand there are lots of women, decent food, lots of live music. Scenery is great and the lake is fun if you have a boat.

    I would probably enjoy ATX a hell of a lot more if I didnt hate my job. What's the name of the company you are lookin to sign on with?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    83
    thanks for your opinion, I am looking forward to seeing the town first hand and will get the chance as I will be moving there this up-coming Friday.

    the company that is hiring me is Thermal Mechanical Contractors.

  11. #11
    I am interested in moving down to Austin as well. Any more advice other than the previously posted threads would be great. I have heard Round Rock is a really great place to consider. As far as home prices go, would it be unreasonable to expect a home for $130k to $180k in the zip codes listed on this thread (as being nicer areas)? I'm used to driving too so I don't mind commuting. Thanks again for any heads up.

  12. #12
    Jmac, do you have dependents? I'm bringing down a wife and three kids, so a VERY big move. When do you plan on moving? If you have already been down there, what has it been like for you? Thanks.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by motivatedtech View Post
    Jmac, do you have dependents? I'm bringing down a wife and three kids, so a VERY big move. When do you plan on moving? If you have already been down there, what has it been like for you? Thanks.
    I live by myself, I love it here, expect for the not having a job yet part(my parents are paying my bills right now) . The people are great and this area has plenty of stuff to do. I live in Round Rock which is north of Austin but in general Austin, Round Rock and surrounding areas are nice places to live. I live in an apartment so I don't really know much about the realistate(sp?im a bad speller) so I really couldn't help you out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event