+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about Quadrafire 7100FP install.

Post Likes

Question about Quadrafire 7100FP install.

The installer of this stove in the new constuction of my house has not been trained in this particular unit and this is there first install of this fireplace. I have a few questions because Quadrafire costomer service email has assured me the installer should simply read the manual and that not passing inspection should motivate them to do it correctly (I live way out in the sticks and there are no inspectors or code, our builder has agreed to bulid the house to the code of his town 30 miles away, the stove installer is not a sub of the bulider because builder does not install EPA fireplaces, only gas).

Where the outside air pipe for combustion connects to the fireplace, they used a flex/foil type of pipe used for clothes dryers and sealed it to the stove with ordinary duct tape. Is this correct? They haven't connected to air intake for the SL pipe yet but I assume they will do the same, is this correct?

Also the flue pipe does not pass through the center of the fire stop in the ceiling, is this OK?

Thanks for your reply!

Post Likes
    For the outside air intake on the side we use either a flexible aluminum line or a rigid elbow right off the unit. We screw it to the collar and then use FOIL tape to make it secure. Once away from the unit we switch to an insulated 6" duct and run that to the outside of the house. For the chimney air kit (which is required) we use a 4" flexible hose to get away from the unit and then again switch to an insulated duct. We use foil tape on all joints for heat resistance. We also caulk the chimney air kit to the unit and pipe on top with high temp red silicone. The pipe does not have to be exactly centered in the firestop. There is new UL testing that allows us to caulk to gaps in the firestops for the SL300 pipe as it penetrates into the attic. This prevents cold air from flowing down from the attic.

Post Likes

Question

JTP, can you provide references for caulking the AK4 and the firestops? I just downloaded the 7100 manual dated 23June08 and it does not address either issue. I also checked the dealer site for technical or sales updates and do not see it posted yet.
    Thx,
    hearthman

Post Likes
    We got it in a field update sent from JP. It is only for the SL300 pipe and the top fire-stop penetrating the attic. The CAK4 has been caulked forever... I think it mentions it in the CAK manual, I would have to look it up.

Post Likes

Installation using existing SL300 pipe

I was looking at at least two EPA fireplaces Quadrafire and Heatilator Constituion which works with SL300 but I heard from Heatilator and my installer that they will not WARRANTY or approve of it with the "existing" SL300 pipe, i.e. they have to completely rip out my pipe and install new pipe. Does anyone know if that is true of the Quadrafire unit as well? That is almost double the labor costs so I'm kinda looking at at 6-10k install vs what would have been like 4k total.
    thanks
    Marty

Post Likes

Cool

First of all, the Quad 7100i and the Heatilator Constitution are the same box with different labelling.

the problems are:
    how do you disconnect snap lock factory chimney without ruining it?
    attaching used chimney to a new fireplace voids the warranty since it was tested and listed as a system with new chimney?

You see, SL300 chimney has lances that grab a hemmed edge on the pipe. Once you remove the pipe, you have to bend or damage these parts, which hold the ppe together. Even during installation, once you snap sections together, you cannot unsnap and reuse.

HTH

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in