Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

what problems have you guys had with UEI meters?

hey everyone!

I have been reading that most people on here don't like UEI meters. why is that? the reason I am asking is because part of the cost of the schooling I had was a tool set which including a UEI meter. I looked up the price of the meter and it was $300 market price. Is there problems I should look out for once I get out on the field? So far this is the nicest meter I have ever owned.

Take good care of your tools and they will take care of you. In your schooling you were not crawing through attics or climbing roofs everyday, and I think that the UEI doesn't quite hold up.

I have had a UEI clamp meter with all the bells and whistles for a few years now, and I have to say, I am impressed. When I compare it side by side with my Fluke, (which is professionally calibrated by the way) it is dead nuts accurate, except for temperature. Which is okay, because I have a seperate meter for that. It has become my every day meter, and has held up just fine. UEI does seem have some tools that are cheaply built, but it doesn't sound like you have one of those. Take care of it, and it will treat you well.

thanks for the responses, trust me I know that I need to take care of my tools and will be doing that.

i love my UEI pheonix meter. its holding up just fine to over two years of abuse. i have put that away as a back up only because i purchased the pheonix 2 with true rms. good luck. also uei support is great!

None at all for over 20 yrs

but thats only beacuse I have not brought any
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

none cause i don't use them ditch the uei and get a fluke

There are some junk meters out there, like the pep boys ones or lower grade crapsmen. Some techs really prefer on brand. I'm not loyal to any cuz I got UEI, Amprobe, Fluke and Greenlee. Ditto on the fluke for tempature though.

i have a UEI phenoix II meter i think maybe a year now. i even bought the hook. makes things easier when checking for amp draw. although im starting to have problems with it giving me false readings screen going blank, freezing up other than that no problems. one thing i do like is the fact it always shows amps no matter what setting its in. as far as price i think mine was 125 or something like that at my local parts supplier.

I had a UEI clamp on meter for a couple of years,

it worked great, better than my amprobe which died after a couple of years for no reason at all, till one day I found it covered in lubricating oil, I cleaned it as best a could and it worked for a couple of weeks more though it was hard to read the digital display, then it died. I now use a Home Depot clamp on meter, it works fine, for about 30 bucks, so far, about four years.

Compare your meter with any fluke,you will see why it's not favored by many technicians.
    When I had my uei meter I remember not being happy about a couple of things.The screen was so small,I had to look closely at it to read it.I remember the test leads being so hard.The back light was a joke.The sliding switch was hard to operate,I had to make sure I didn't slide it the the wrong reading,and it was flimsy.The casing just didn't feel like fluke does.I don't know how much they improved on these issues but I wouldn't care either since I am happy with my fluke 179 and fieldpiece dual temp. tester(has two calibration dials).I also owned a uei dual temp tester till I slammed it on a curbside and threw it in a dumpster.

Had a uei and whatever that other low end one is. Gave both away to newbies, what pieces of crap. I just never trusted the readings.
    Swear by my Fieldpiece units and Fluke. Spend the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodg Blake View Post
    Had a uei and whatever that other low end one is. Gave both away to newbies, what pieces of crap. I just never trusted the readings.
    Swear by my Fieldpiece units and Fluke. Spend the money.
    yea i compared the UEI to a fluke 902...... same EXACT reading

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast