Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How long would this job take you?????

Post Likes
    Our compressor supplier requires us to fill out this startup report when replacing compressors.
    I use a similar report during my annual PM's and whenever a system is serviced.
    http://www.gshermetique.com/eflyer_t..._report_en.pdf

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    Our compressor supplier requires us to fill out this startup report when replacing compressors.
    I like your form, thanks.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Post Likes
    I haven't read the whole thread but I have done this exact job this past Monday.
    My helper and I had the same scenario with the elevator to the top floor with the same 20 steps to the roof give or take a few.
    The gaskets were the fiber ones so a decent amount of scraping was required.
    I recovered all 40lbs of refrigerant from the circuit and I replaced the contactor also.
    I arrived on the job at 7:30 and connected my recovery machine. I left at 8:00 to go to my supplier to pick up the valve plates, new gaskets, oil and contactor.
    I was back on the job at 9:30 and my recovery was completed.
    I used 5 psi of nitrogen to push my oil out of the compressor and by 10:00 I was ready to pull off the heads.
    By 12:00 I had all 3 heads off and all fiber gaskets scraped off. I took a 1/2 hour lunch and by 1:30 I had all 3 heads installed and torqued to 85lb/ft.
    My helper was filling the oil while I was torquing the heads.
    I then pressure tested the system with nitrogen and began my vacuum.
    By 3:00 my vacuum was completed and I began charging the system from the high side. By 4:00 truck was packed and unit was running. I ran into another problem since one of the 2 tx valves in parallel wouldn't open so I had to go back the next day to replace the power element.

If I was doing this under warranty I could have easily done it in 5 hours with my helper or 8 hours alone busting ass.
    I was taking the time to show him how everything worked and what to look for.
    Ours was a rooftop job and not in a mechanical room.
    I`ve heard it might not be legal "EPA" to leave your recover machine running unattended.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    I`ve heard it might not be legal "EPA" to leave your recover machine running unattended.
    I can't tell you about the USA but we are good to go here if we have the tank overfill switch connected.

Post Likes
    They sell re-builds,correct?Are they better than Compref?

Post Likes
    I can't tell you about the USA but we are good to go here if we have the tank overfill switch connected.
    I guess it`s a little cooler in Canada too easier to recover too eh.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cold in alberta View Post
    They sell re-builds,correct?Are they better than Compref?
    I have never tried Compref but they're certainly cheaper than Totaline.
    I bought a 06DX537 last week for $1500 which comes with a 3 year warranty.
    I like using them because they are close to most of my clientθle.
    I try not going towards the east end since I'll usually get stuck in traffic during peak hours.
    I can call G&S almost any time and be at their door in one hour picking up a compressor.
    They are reasonable with their warranty also since I needed to replace one which let go after a crankcase heater died and flooded back the compressor.
    I like dealing with family run businesses whenever I can.

Post Likes
    Thanks-i may try them instead of compref then.Compref used to have an office in calgary here but closed it and someone told me they were using GShermetique and had good service.Thanks again

Post Likes

Talking

Tank overfill switch? You mean people use those things!

Post Likes
    Back on topic: Referring to the OP, 12hrs tops. Probably no more than 8.

/15yrs UA A/C-Refrigeration fitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in