Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I would have bid 2 man days.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

I would have bid 20 hours and done the job in 16. Besides if I say I need 20 they are only gonna give me 16 anyways. I like to throw the f@@k factor in up front cause its easier to give money back to the customer than ask for more. (yes we do do that). 4 to 6 hrs whoever said that you are a sales guy right??. Its gonna take you 4 hours to get your cylinder and recovery plus half your truck up there just to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by absrbrtek View Post
    I would have bid 2 man days.
    I think I would have had another 1/2 day to drop the parts off and pick up parts.

I think you could have installed a new pump for a little more.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

The job sounds straight forward to me. I am one of the guys that gets it gone, and right, no short cuts. The big thing I find with any bid is a detailed bid and comunicate with the customer. If any thing comes up its extra. Customers have no problem paying for the unexpected just keep them informed along the way.

I haven't a clue, but would like to know.

Are we talking about valve plates?
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Just curious... and it's been said before...

Why not just change out the compressor? I'm sure $$ is a factor... but we almost always try to swap out the compressors vs repair them. Lil better warranty and likelihood of them working lol
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Changing out valve plates on a troubled compressor can turn you from a hero to a zero in a hurry. Best to take the time do it right the first and not over a second time.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

I have changed these out many times, but why are you changing valve plates on this compressor? you can usually valve off compressor recover whats inside and pull valve plates in couple hours.
    and if you havent pulled them already to confirm compressor pistons and rods are still good then. I would say 4 days. 1 day to pull valve plates and find bad compressor. 1 day for customer to accept new bid. 1 day 2 guys install new compressor and 1 day to figure out why you are replacing the compressor so you dont have to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by absrbrtek View Post
    WOW, your good!!!!! Your going to pull out a 300# plus compressor, get the old one out and down the 20 stairs. Then drag a new one up 20 stairs, evac and do the rest of the work in 4 to 6 man hours? This is a joke right?
    Thats what I was thinking....... an 06e can hurt you........ lol

Im only wondering why a manager is using the internet to ask how long a job should take. If you have done the job before, again why are you asking you already know! Trying to get backup to bust peoples balls at your new manager job? Why did you even bring the union/non-union thing into your post? what does that have to do with anything?

None of us have seen the actual job to see what time consuming factors are present. Some places that can take 12 hours some places it can take 24 hours. As a service manager as you state you are, dont you know that?

32 hours if it goes well, could be as long as 48, geez you got a minimum of 8 hours of start up and check out after the physical work is done. I would be skeptical of any company that did that job in less than 32 man hours.

I too would definately figure 20 hours for this job. 1 journeyman 1 apprentice 1 day. 4 hours cushion. I would prefer t&m as this job can get sh_tty really fast if quoted and not done rite. Please do not forget. Do it rite the first time!!! I get the feeling that you're guy took too long.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt3677 View Post
    I get the feeling that you're guy took too long.

I get the feeling he THINKS his guy took to long.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast