Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

How long would this job take you?????

I have worked non-Union my whole life and I have recently taken a job were i am now the boss at a Union shop. I know how long this job would have taken me but I am told that I am not being unrealistic, what are your thoughts?
    I am not asking for a price or want to know how to do this just job, but your experience on how long a valve plate replacement would take for you to complete if the job went smoothly, and if it did not go smoothly the quote covered that issue.

The Job...

It’s a built up system with an O6E compressor.

(1) Replace all 3 valves plates, (top, left, right)
    (2) Replace the oil
    (3) Replace the pressure relief
    (4) Replace the (2) 75Amp contactors
    (5) Start and check operation, no other issues and leave.
    (6) The valve plates have core charges and need to be returned

• The building elevator will take you up the top floor you will have to schlep up 20 steeps to the roof.
    • You pick up your needed parts (2) days earlier while on another job.
    • The drier was not replaced.
    • The compressor was not painted when the work was completed.
    • Mechanical room was left broom swept clean.
    • All other normal procedures were followed.
    • This is your account were you have performed the maintenance for years so you know the system and exactly how it works.
    • Compressor was valved off.

Well inever have done that exact job but I wopuld have to say 4 to 6 hours based on a compressor changeout. I guess it also depends on how much people can multi task. I work with this tech who can only do things one at a time so if he is recovering refrigerant that is what he is doing watching the machine suck out the refirgerant he couldnt move over and change out the contactors like allot of other people. It is not that he is lazy he just cant focus on more than one thing.

I would price it at two man days, plus parts and reclaim cylinder. Technically you must reclaim the refrigerant inside the compressor, the valve plates are pretty much just not and bolt deal, and the oil may require a special pump if you dont have one. I just had a man replace knig valves, oil sight glass gaskets, oil, oil pump, and repair a leaky tube in a condenser on a two hundred tonner. It took him three days, but that also included pulling the entire charge, adjusting the Tx valves because they were so out of whach, evacuating and recharging. This was a strict manufacturing environment where everything had to be approved prior to actually doing it.

I would agree with the 2 days. I've never done this exact job, but I've pulled the head off of the smaller version, and tore a huge one apart.

1st day you should be able to get 90% of the work done, maybe even get it on the vac pump by then.

The 2nd day would be going over what you did, making sure it's right, final clean up (always leave the job site cleaner than when you came), and fire it up. I wouldn't count on firing it up and it working perfect, there will likely be some tweaks to be made. While you're there check the safeties (oil psi, high/low psi etc). Nothing worse than one of those not working and taking out a compressor you just fixed, then trying to explain it.

I'd bet even though the 2nd day was planned as some what of a slack day since most of the work would be done the 1st day, you'll end up putting in a full day on the 2nd day too.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Testo... you guys rule!

Two man days.Can you let us know how long this job actually took? I'm very interested to know what the answer is as this sounds like its gonna be a union bashing thread by the looks of the first sentence of the post.

We do this work alot and it would be 8 hours on the job and 4 hours for PUD (Pick-up & delivery) if we had to be competitive. If its our account and nobody is bidding against us its 16 hours. Is the relief the internal relief in the compressor or the external one that is normally in the liquid line? If its the external relief and the refrigerant has to be pulled out that would add hours.
    Effort is the 1st step towards failure.

Smile

Well lets go through the job

(1) Move parts and tools to the roof
    (2) Pump down, remove remaining refrigerant, drain oil, pump in new oil (has an oil drain)
    (3) R/R top valve plate remove old gasket material, inspect damage
    (4) R/R right valve plate remove old gasket material, inspect for damage
    (5) R/R left valve plate remove old gasket material, inspect for damage
    (6) R/R pressure relief remove old gasket material
    (7) Leak check (pressure check) and start on contactor R/R
    (8) Evacuate and Finish contactor R/R, Start the clean up
    (9) Start and check system
    (10) Clean up, pack up, do paperwork

i have done this job a few times. i am not trying to knock my union guys but trying to get a idea of what is common from others who are also familiar with this job(I may be the exception and not the rule). i dont want to skew the results any more than i already have so if you could please bear with me i will hold back on how long it really took for a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by TAC Service View Post
    We do this work alot and it would be 8 hours on the job and 4 hours for PUD (Pick-up & delivery) if we had to be competitive. If its our account and nobody is bidding against us its 16 hours. Is the relief the internal relief in the compressor or the external onethat is normally in the liquid line? If its the external relief and the refrigerant has to be pulled out that would add hours.

the relief is in the compressor
    thanks

45 Kabillion seconds.....
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

Cool

Just a few other thoughts to keep in mind here which add to the job time:

1) comp is valved off, recovery still needed
    2) oil has to be pumped or siphoned out and refilled
    3) valve plates might just come of, but sometimes gaskets stick and
    may take a little time to clean.
    4) how excessible is the compressor?? I know you said built up system??
    5) inspection before installing new plates.
    6) tourqe the valve bolts properly.

I would figure two days, not rushing the job. We all know some times we run into an obsticle on all jobs. No disrespect here, how effecient is the mechanic doing the job? Some are faster than others.
    I usually tell my office to figure a certian amount of time and if we get the job done sooner, tell the customer we will give him a credit on the labor.
    You make your cost of the job and your not ripping him off for additional labor. I beleive he will feel better n knowing you were honest with him.
    "My hands are for sale"

Jim I would say also 2 days but dont forget ambiant of the mech. rm and who the tech is cause even thou it is union shop you should still have your GO TO guys for tight jobs and guys who just do inspections.If you don't have a GO TO guy yet you better find him.

WOW, your good!!!!! Your going to pull out a 300# plus compressor, get the old one out and down the 20 stairs. Then drag a new one up 20 stairs, evac and do the rest of the work in 4 to 6 man hours? This is a joke right?
    Quote Originally Posted by wspascoe View Post
    Well inever have done that exact job but I wopuld have to say 4 to 6 hours based on a compressor changeout. I guess it also depends on how much people can multi task. I work with this tech who can only do things one at a time so if he is recovering refrigerant that is what he is doing watching the machine suck out the refirgerant he couldnt move over and change out the contactors like allot of other people. It is not that he is lazy he just cant focus on more than one thing.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

To be safe, I would say two days and any additional problems found while doing the work would be extra. I have seen alot of compressors where the service valves didn't hold, in this case you would have to recover the entire charge.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast