WTB: York Guard 4 module

This is my first post and hope one of you guys can help me out. I have a York heat pump system model E1FH024S06A which maintains my shop. A recent lightning strike to a nearby tree apparently ended the life of the Yorkguard 4 module (#031-00832). Any one have one off an old unit they'd care to part with for a fair price?
    Last edited by JimWJr; 08-13-2008 at 10:14 PM.

use an old icp deforst board and wire it up that way

YorkGuard 4

I have 3 used boards and a service analyzer for sell.

sammyray,

Thanks for responding. It sounds like you have what I need. I edited my profile so my email address will show up in the 'additional information' box if you click on my user ID. Would you please email me and let me know what $$ you need?

Jim

I'm unable to use the PM system to contact sammyray. Can any of the professional members PM him for me to let him know I'm interested in hte items he has for sale? I'd really appreciate it.

Just get a YG 6 upgrade. They are not very expensive.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

OK, here's the deal....

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Just get a YG 6 upgrade. They are not very expensive.
    I spent 13 years in the military and worked with electronics, motors, generators, hydraulics, pnuematics, etc. I've been working in a steel mill in SC for the last 10 years as a multicraft technician. ALL industrial mechanical, electrical and electronic. As part of the electronic area, I work with a lot of PLC stuff, contorol modules, sensors, wiring, etc. In the area of AC? I don't do installations or any repairs requiring breaking the system. We leave that for the professionals. Wiring, relays, breakers, things like that if it was needed. We recently went to a service contract with a large AC&R company, so I don't even need to do that any more as they are on 24 hr call due to the large amount of cooling systems we have for our electronics which drive our systems. I'm plenty capable of troubleshooting down to and replacing components like the YG4.

Now, I'm just like everyone else. I have more than my share of bills as I have also been covering mortgage payments for my mother for over 4 years. I need to save money where and when I can. Some crackhead cut the copper pipes out of my mothers heat pump system while she was staying at my house for a week and it cost me exactly five hundred bucks (which was conveniently exactly what her deductible was) to get a 20 ft lineset installed and the system recharged (87 ounces of r22 IIRC). I don't know if I got yanked or not, but she needed AC as it was 100+ for several days here. I was ok with it as i look at it as how much would you pay for a gallon of water if your head was on fire?

While they were working on her system, I spoke with one of the supervisors and explained I was looking for a local company to establish a decent relationship with for service contracts for both our houses. I would prefer to use the same company for all our business. The company ad claimed they were owned by a veteran and offered a 10% veteran discount. It sounded like a good start to me, so I also asked them to look at my shop system (after I was already pretty certain it was the YG4 module) to see if they could fix it. I didn't discuss my background at all or what troubleshooting I had already done as I've seen this totally destroy independant troubleshooting before while at work. A tech came by 2 days later. He checked it out and also determined it was the module. Good!! Makes sense to me since the lightning strike was only 25ft away. The tech and I also established that the unit will cool just fine by manually operating the relay to apply power to the outside unit. We held the relay in and let it run for about 20 minutes while discussing service contracts. Nice cool air coming from every vent. He then had to go to his truck to call the boss. Comes back to let me know they don't make the YG4 anymore and I would have to upgrade to the YG6. OK, no big deal right? Then tells me none of the sensors are compatible and they would have to be replaced also. true or not, I don't know. He's willing to do this for just twelve hundred. But, for only fortytwo hundred he can install a complete new system. Hmm... 15 minutes ago he was telling me how the York's were top shelf great systems and how everything still looked brand new (and it does). I explained to him, with my financial circumstances right now, it's unlikely I'll take either of these routes. He then turned off the tstat and went and released the relay and buttoned up the outside cover while I was in the shop. He then said his goodbye's and left to go on other jobs ( I guess). About 20 minutes later I turned on the tsat to circulate air. Strange, the airhandler didn't turn on...I went to check voltages and guess what? Suddenly there's nothing. Strange.... Found the fuse blown in the control power transformer at the airhandler. Wonder how that happened? Maybe he decided to spark it on his way out to blow the fuse to make me think the whole system crapped out??? I don't know. Maybe the YG4 failed further and caused it to blow and it's just coincidence. So it cost me $75 for a service call to back up my troubleshooting (which can be considered cheap insurance), a blown transformer (which has been repaired already) in order for a guy to tell me he wants x bucks to convert to YG6. I don't consider that cheap. I realize commisions are involved, but I also don't like a guy trying to steer me toward a fortytwo hundred dollar unnecessary purchase. YG5 upgrade kits are available for about 350. I think I can handle the kit installation as I've reviewed all the paperwork, drawings and schematics. BUT, the easiest thing to do would be to just swap in a replacement YG4 module. I figure if one of you guys have one laying around I can put some money in your pocket and we can both be happy. There you have it......a little long winded, but it explains my situation. I'm just like you guys, working my a** off trying to make ends meet and I can't justify twelve hundred to install a YG6. PS, I'm still looking for a local company I feel comfortable with. As with most honest hard working people, I don't like feeling as if someone is driving a screw into me, and that's exactly how I felt. I know there's a company out there somewhere so I'll just keep trying. Not in a huge rush as my goal is to find a decent company and have the service contracts in place by spring.

Also, if anyone has a working YG4 module and you also own a convertible automobile in which the top no longer operates, maybe we can work out a trade. I rebuild/repair convertible top motors as a side job. These typically cost from $300 to $800 (just for the motor) when purchased new from a dealer. I have many available or can repair yours. Maybe we can save each other $$. If you are interested in a trade email me.

Jim</removed>
    Last edited by JimWJr; 08-24-2008 at 01:25 AM. Reason: removed pricing and link to your business

Quote Originally Posted by JimWJr View Post
    I'm unable to use the PM system to contact sammyray. Can any of the professional members PM him for me to let him know I'm interested in hte items he has for sale? I'd really appreciate it.
    Jim check your email

Response is on the way...

Sammy,

Thanks for getting back to me. My return email should be in your mail box.

Jim

A public thank you to SammyRay

SammyRay, I appreciate you helping me out. Everything is back up and running smooth as silk. It was an excellent transaction and you're on the top of my contact list when/if I ever need any HVAC stuff. Wish you were local. Thanks again.

Emil addresses belong in your profile, not the post.

Please read site rules, Thank you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?