Repacking a pump

When installing a new packing, do you initially lubricate a sleeve, and if yes, what do you use?
    I know that normally packing is lubricated and cooled by water but before gland is slowly tightened to the right tension, you need a wet suit. If you don’t want to get wet during a pump startup, you start with some tension on a gland but then there is a risk of burning a packing and scoring a sleeve. This is why I am asking about lubricating a sleeve.

I hate teflon packing. give me good old 187 I.

Never lubed packing before.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

If the packing is properly installed, and you roll the shaft by hand while gently tightening, you won't need a rain suit. Individual pieces, cut so the ends perfectly butt together when installed.

I have also seen over tightening eventually break the shaft. That was from a tech who couldn't accept a drip. A properly installed stuffing box packing will drip.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Soap or Silglide.

There are different procedures on different pumps, but typically no. Some pumps require a certain drip rate to cool the packing. Years ago, I installed three high temp hot water pumps that pushed 350 degree f water. They required x amount of drips per minute. They had to be adjusted with the pumps first at ambient temp, then after they reached the service temp. Had to make a shrowd to keep from getting burned.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy S. View Post
    If the packing is properly installed, and you roll the shaft by hand while gently tightening, you won't need a rain suit. Individual pieces, cut so the ends perfectly butt together when installed.

I have also seen over tightening eventually break the shaft. That was from a tech who couldn't accept a drip. A properly installed stuffing box packing will drip.

Randy, I appreciate your input , just can not believe that over tightening a packing gland can break a shaft.
    What diameter of the shaft are you talking about?

Here is a link to the page instructing how to pack a pump. They say in paragraph 4 about lubricating packing rings, but they don't say with what.

http://www.dracomech.com/comppack/pumpinstall.htm