Thread: xl16i--zoning issues--possible resolution--pick one

Post Likes

xl16i--zoning issues--possible resolution--pick one

Folks...to all of you that have educated me about the issues in zoning a Trane xl16i A/C.thanks.

The major issue has been that the system does not adjust fan speed depending on which zone(s) are calling for air, nor does the system adjust fan speed based on temp v. set point. Our house is not identical by floor...the downstairs is about 1150 sq ft and the upstairs about 850. we are in NJ

Well, after much nagging and a few calls to the Trane corp office, I finally got an offer of help from my installer...he proposed one of these 4 choices and if ya'll could tell me what you think, I would appreciate it VERY much.

The options from the installer.
    (1) we can install the Trane zoning system at no cost to you and see if it makes any difference.
    (2) we can upgrade your system to a 19i which Trane says will work. I will supply labor the only thing you would cover is the difference in cost of the condensing unit.
    (3) Third we can convert you system back to a single zone and refund you the cost of the zone control package.
    (4) Fourth we can get you a price for installing a second air handler and condensing unit for the second floor. The ductwork is already there it would be the equipment and electrical work.

So...what do you recommend and why?

My guess is that another A/h and condenser would be best (#4), but I'm sure the most expensive, probably prohibitively so, as such this is probably not a realistic option unless it is the only way to go. Plus, we already have a 4 ton unit..what else can they add?

If the 19i works properly controlling fan speed, for under 1k, I might get the best solution.

Can the 19i do a better job of controlling fan speed than the 16i? why? Do I need pressure sensor rather than a bypass damper, or both? How important is the Tstat if I choose the 19i? If it matters, which one do i get?

Anyone know if the new trane zoning solution works for the 16i? this would be cheapest, but if it doesn't work, what good is it.

Guys--please write as much as you can, what you recommend and why...also, please and let me know what i need to ask the installer...

Thanks VERY VERY much for your help.

Post Likes
    The quick and dirty answer from me is I would not have faith in their ability to zone anything.

The last Trane residential zoning we installed required a notebook computer, Trane specific software and an interface board. I'm not sure what will be involved with this "NEW TRANE ZONING".

Others here may know.

Post Likes
    I would opt for the 19i
    If its not available in R410A yet, they will need to change out the TXV also.

The 19i wires to the air handler/zone panel different. And can use the low speed cooling of the air handler.

Post Likes
    I agree with Beenthere on going with the 19i. The way that it is wired versus the 16i will give you the blower control that you are expecting, also the 19i will give you a true 50%/100% staging as compared to the 16i which is approx. 80%/100% staging.

The TXV will need to be changed in the evap coil though.

I have not seen nor heard of a new Trane zoning system as of yet, I will call my rep in the morning and ask him about it.

Also the Trane zoning system that I have used does not use a bypass damper, it will modulate other zone dampers open and closed as needed to relieve excess pressure. Your ducts may not be sized properly for this type of zoning system if your current one utilizes a bypass damper.
    Last edited by forcryinoutloud; 08-13-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Trane zoning

Post Likes
    NJ

I am embarassed for my industry.

I am encouraged when I read about all the technical training available, the advances with understanding the importances of heatloads and duct sizing.

Efforts of organizations like Air Conditioning Contractors of American and The National Comfort Institute as well as others.

But when I see situtions like yours I know we have along way to go.

Some of the members of this forum get indignant when a fellow contractor is referenced in less than a favorable light but frankly if the shoe fits......

You should seriously consider the manufacturer's extended equipment warranty. IMO

Been do you think they'll know how to get the fan to low speed?

Good Luck

Post Likes
    Hopefully they read the instructions.

The 19i wires more like other brands do. So its easier then the 16i to wire up.

Post Likes
    If they can't figure out how to properly wire the 19i they have no business selling any 2 stage equipment, or zoning systems for that matter.

Post Likes
    Is it possible to get the install instructions before they get here? Also--do I still need the bypass damper with 19i or will the 19i control fan speed?

Post Likes
    The 19i will run at a lower speed in first stage then your current 16i does.
    Since your zoning system is not a modulating system. you may still need the bypass. If your smallest zone doesn't need the min required air flow for the 19i.

In first stage. The 19i will move a lot less air.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in