Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negative pressure

Post Likes

Negative pressure

My house is under negative pressure when the a/c is on. I can feel air being sucked out of the attic access door. I'm assuming it is being sucked under the front door as well. I checked the duct work in the attic and didn't see any noticeable air leaks. What else would cause negative pressure?

Post Likes
    low supply air, bath fans running, drier running anything that exhausts air with out providing the same amount of air it exhausts. in your case most likely not enough supply air vs return air. if your return pulls 1000 cfm and you only supply 800 cfm your under negative pressure. this can be due to supply air duct leakage which would be the most common reason found.

Post Likes
    Re-check the supplies in the attic. Confusios say, "If the problem is only when the AC is on, it's from the AC system."

The leaking supplies are causing an imbalance - the AC return (I assume) is directly connected to the living space while the supplies are ducted and leaking in the attic - wa-la - negative pressure in the living space.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by larobj63 View Post
    Re-check the supplies in the attic. Confusios say, "If the problem is only when the AC is on, it's from the AC system."

The leaking supplies are causing an imbalance - the AC return (I assume) is directly connected to the living space while the supplies are ducted and leaking in the attic - wa-la - negative pressure in the living space.
    Yeah, it only happens when the air handler is on. I checked all the joints and seams and did not find any air leaks. I'll check again.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
    Yeah, it only happens when the air handler is on. I checked all the joints and seams and did not find any air leaks. I'll check again.
    Do it. You're wasting energy by cooling the attic.

Does the attic stay pretty cool? That's a sure sign you're leaking up there.

Post Likes
    Find a supply vent grill in the ceiling and pull it off. If there's a gap between the supply vent sheetmetal (called a "boot") and the drywall, that is part of your problem. This gap can be sealed with caulk or duct mastic (latter is preferable).

When the supply grill is on, and this gap between ceiling drywall and boot remains, back pressure off the grill will force cold air into the attic, which equates to air lost from the home. If it escapes the conditioned space, it is a loss of air volume, which has to be made up from somewhere.

You should also consider ways to seal your attic access, and all other penetrations through the ceiling into the attic.

Post Likes
    If the supplies are leaking into the attic. He won't feel air being drawn into the attic through the skuttle. Might feel warm air being forced into the house.

Also check seal at return where it penetrates the ceiling.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If the supplies are leaking into the attic. He won't feel air being drawn into the attic through the skuttle. Might feel warm air being forced into the house.

I read it as air being sucked out of the attic access door
    Which i assume attic air was being sucked into the living space.

And i don't think we should be telling him to dismantle any part of the system as he should call out a pro to evaluate the problem.

Post Likes
    So you think opening the return air filter grille, and looking to see if it, and the return box are sealed, is too hard to do?

Post Likes

Yeah, I read it as sucking the other way, since he also mentioned "sucked under the front door".

Post Likes
    So you think opening the return air filter grille, and looking to see if it, and the return box are sealed, is too hard to do?
    Right - please tell me this site isn't that petty....

Post Likes
    Yes we are. LOL

Post Likes
    Yes we are. LOL
    Sometimes a smiley goes a long way...

As long as i'm totally high-jacking this thread - how do I go about becoming a professional member? Should i scan in my dimploma?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Supply air leaks(outside the conditioned space) suck,look in the attic again.

Post Likes
    see - i already give the same advice hours before pro-members with 15,654 post more than me!

Post Likes

Post Likes
    see - i already give the same advice hours before pro-members with 15,654 post more than me!
    Nice job!!lol

Post Likes
    yeah nice ditto

Post Likes
    no i was referring to someone telling them to remove ceiling registers.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    Find a supply vent grill in the ceiling and pull it off. If there's a gap between the supply vent sheetmetal (called a "boot") and the drywall, that is part of your problem. This gap can be sealed with caulk or duct mastic (latter is preferable).

When the supply grill is on, and this gap between ceiling drywall and boot remains, back pressure off the grill will force cold air into the attic, which equates to air lost from the home. If it escapes the conditioned space, it is a loss of air volume, which has to be made up from somewhere.

You should also consider ways to seal your attic access, and all other penetrations through the ceiling into the attic.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by obxtech View Post
    no i was referring to someone telling them to remove ceiling registers.
    Ditto!!lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in