Thread: Which type gas line in garage area?

Post Likes

Which type gas line in garage area?

Currently my furnace is set up for propane. There is a copper line feeding it. I am going to be switching to NG and the new line will be coming into the house in a different area. My question is, what type of gas line should be run from where the line comes into the house to the furnace. Black iron pipe? Copper? Any other options? This is in a garage area.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Find out what your local code calls for, and go that way. I'd perfer black iron pipe. But, that's just me.

Post Likes
    There is what's refered to as "all fuel" which is flexible steel with a plastic coating. Its common - and expensive. I also prefer black iron - but my father is a plumber/steam-fitter so he's been using black iron since dogs were puppies.

Oh - yeah, check your local code, and no DIY questions.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by larobj63 View Post
    There is what's refered to as "all fuel" which is flexible steel with a plastic coating. Its common - and expensive. I also prefer black iron - but my father is a plumber/steam-fitter so he's been using black iron since dogs were puppies.

Oh - yeah, check your local code, and no DIY questions.
    It's not DIY.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acobra289 View Post
    It's not DIY.
    OK no worries - just ribbing.

I think ~3/4" black iron will be your best bet - pretty standard.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by larobj63 View Post
    OK no worries - just ribbing.

I think ~3/4" black iron will be your best bet - pretty standard.
    No problem. I'm just trying to be an informed consumer.

I'm sure the HVAC company will have their preference. But as we all know, sometimes their preference isn't always the best choice.

Would using iron pipe increase the price of the job significantly over the other options?

Thanks for the help and information.

Post Likes

I'm sure the HVAC company will have their preference. But as we all know, sometimes their preference isn't always the best choice.

Would using iron pipe increase the price of the job significantly over the other options?

We don't know others pricing structuring. But,it should cost a bit more than copper due to the labor involved. I wouldn't run any type of fuel in copper tubing, again, that's just me.

Post Likes

Hard to say - the material (black iron) is cheaper than all fuel - but the install might be a little more - they will have to cut threads on custom length pipes and hang the pipe with split ring hangers, as apposed to using off the shelf fittings and hanging it with whatever. I run my own gas lines with good ol' Dad - so I don't have experience with contractor pricing.

On this job I can't see the difference being too exteme, if that helps.

If the lines are subject to rusting - see if you can use galvanized pipe (I'm pretty sure you can - we can in NY)- which is black iron with zinc added. Galvanized is a little more expensive than black iron - but if you live near the sea or are in a humid area it might be worth it. Mainly for aesthetics I should add - it would take a looong time to actually rust threw schedule 40 black iron...

Post Likes
    Your contractor might use CSST. Nothing wrong with using it.

If you prefer one type or another. Let your contractor know.
    He should know if your area allows copper or not.

Post Likes
    I say torture the contractor and make them run black pipe. Just kidding. Here in northern VA I've done alot of gas conversions and have done everyone with trac pipe or ward flex and to my knowledge never had a problem with any of them. My only suggestion is to make sure that all gas piping inside of the appliance is black pipe and they put the regulator on the right way

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in