Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman373 View Post
    All I can say is

warranty denied!!!!

Only if Carrier knew there units have been mutated!

WHY?
    If you can't push; pull... If you can't pull; GET OUT OF THE WAY!!

So, I have to wonder who SOLD him the units?

Online purchase?
    True Heavy Metal Geek

I'm having a difficult time even saying WOW, I am laughing to hard.
    Looks like you got the linesets ran
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

He already had them mounted and had the shrouds built by someone else and bought the equipment from someone else. I guess he considers himself the ultimate DIY'er and just needed us to run duct and linesets. We tried to tell him about the problems but he would hear any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ISOTHERMAL View Post
    I'm having a difficult time even saying WOW, I am laughing to hard.
    Looks like you got the linesets ran

Never underestimate the power of innovation. I will be interested to hear the end results of operation.
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Quote Originally Posted by flippurr View Post
    He already had them mounted and had the shrouds built by someone else and bought the equipment from someone else. I guess he considers himself the ultimate DIY'er and just needed us to run duct and linesets. We tried to tell him about the problems but he would hear any of it.
    Some people won't listen and have to learn the hard way. I'm really not sure that a design engineer would have even thought of doing that. I really doubt that they will have good air flow evenly thru the coil like were designed to, even if they were setting out in the open and not crowded together. I think I would cash the check before I turned them on.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

looks like 14 seer units,,so if im not mistaken,,he hung his condensor fans on the electrical service/ service side of the unit-which means theres still a metal partition for the board and contactor and capacitor set,,which is called i think (silencer system 2 ) or something like that,one of the features of that puron unit.
    so unless he removed the partition or used a hole saw and drilled a sheet load of holes,,he's not moving enough air across the coils.
    and even if the partion was removed,,he'd only be pulling air across 1/2 the front and the right side of the condensor.

i see also he's removed the condensor protective shields ,,which by the way,
    doesnt do him anygood for cleaning.because he will only be able to blow out the right and left sides of the condensor,,unless of course, he wants to remove the condensor fans to clean the front of the condensor,which has 15 to 20" clearance from the wall-he should of hinged them like a car hood.
    due to the coil design of the condensors you would actually have to make a wand with tip at 45 degrees to get those coils clean without pulling the fans.

the guy would have been better off using alot of minisplits,,if he absolutely had to have his condensors there.
    and with the 410a stuff,,being at higher pressures and using expansion coils,,
    your linesets can be longer-with good results,,theres absolutely no reason that job should have ended up that way.

is that guy,,a lockheed engineer?? by the way just curious,,

anyway,,what do i know,,, i'm just a filter changer

jay688

after removing the shields and elec/ partition,,i imagine it was alot of fun getting those flimzy pieces of sheet up there
    better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and confirm it

Not only is the hackery bad, look at how they're mounted! Is it me or does it look like they're hanging off the 2x4 beams above? Those aren't going to last long with ~1,500 lbs of hacked ACs vibrating away.

I do have to say though, the metal guy did do a nice job on the new shrouds. Guess every cloud has a silver lining

hey duckman,,
    is that metal?? it looks like that old pasteboard they used to use in old tv's to isolate the fylback transformers from screwin up the tuners
    better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and confirm it

I give him props for effort. While ass backwards and who knows there is no info posted on how they actually ran. I would never think of doing such thing so in his mind he is a genius. Keep us posted on how long they last and how they run if you go back there I sure the heck wouldn't.

I would not have anything to do with those units unless he understands that all future work will be fully chargeable and COD.
    R2B4BTU

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast