Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should i run my systems fan on low all the time

I have an infinty system and have read different opinions regarding this issue. What is the current opinon on runing my systems fan on low all the time. Live on Washington dc in two story home with a basement. Aslo should i replace the system's filter more often than twice a year if the system fan runs all the time Thanks

Running the fan 24/7 can cause a humidity rise, by re evaporating the condensate off the coil, and water from the drain pan.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I to have the Infinity furnace and I run my fan 24/7 during the heating season, but during times when the Ac is running I will put the stat in auto mode because as BT stated it will more than likely raise the RH in the home. I have tried a couple of different scenerios on different days running the fan 24/7 while in AC mode when OD RH was at different levels and noticed that when the OD RH was low the constant fan running in low did not have much effect on RH inside the home. BUt on day's with abnormal high RH OD's and the fan running on low it also increased the ID RH slightly maybe 2-3% higher. But the increase in ID RH is dependant on your homes ability to maintain certain set points. But during the heating season I would advise running the fan on low 24/7.

Should i change out the filter every 3 months if i run the system all the time. Four inch pleated filter in use. thanks

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by ron3637 View Post
    Should i change out the filter every 3 months if i run the system all the time. Four inch pleated filter in use. thanks
    The ciol should be level,so it will drain,if you run the fan in the off cycle.

Infinity,will tell you when to change the filter based on the increased restriction of becomoing dirty,unless someone turned that function off,which would likey be to hide a high static duct system.

How can i check if it is off? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Running the fan 24/7 can cause a humidity rise, by re evaporating the condensate off the coil, and water from the drain pan.
    yep.

and I can tell you from experimenting at my own house. Running the fan constantly will make your filter dirty a lot quicker. WAY QUICKER.I keep my fan running cause I like the air circulating and laying in bed I have to feel some air blowing..
    your infinity will run at a real low speed with fan only. I'm sure you know all the details about your system. Dash is the man for Infinity questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ron3637 View Post
    I have an infinty system and have read different opinions regarding this issue. What is the current opinon on runing my systems fan on low all the time. Live on Washington dc in two story home with a basement. Aslo should i replace the system's filter more often than twice a year if the system fan runs all the time Thanks
    My testing shows that fan "on" slow provides uniform temperature throughout the home. Also isolated areas like the masterbedroom will be less stuffy (lower CO2, higher O2) with the fan "on". I have been testing the evaporation rate of the moisture on the cooling coil. With fan "on" low, a 2 ton a/c coil with 50%RH air dries 45 mins. With fan off drying takes 2 hours. During the sleeping hours when there are only a couple cooling cycles or less, I like fan "on" low for comfort and freshness throughout the bedrooms. Over-sized a/c that cycle more twice an evening best not use fan "on". Fan "auto" will evaporate 1-2 lbs. more moisture per cycle when short cycling.
    During spring, fall, and summer, the amount of fresh air entering a home is very low compared to winter. ASHRAE, American Lung Ass, and EPA suggest fresh air ventilation for good IAQ. They suggest an air change every 3-5 hours when the home is occupied. My testing on a midwest home shows less than an air change every 10 hours in a moderately tight home on during moderate wind. Fan "on" low is an excellent method of mixing fresh air throughout the isolated rooms of the home.
    The other critical issue is maintaining <50%RH to avoid mold and dust mites. In green grass climates, fresh air ventilation during wet cool weather will make your home damp. Supplemental dehumidification is required to remove the moisture in the fresh air. Better not ventilate if the fresh air makes your home damp. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I think,and I should know,But?/

Push the button on the right side above the Heat/Cool.

It should tell the estimated percentage of filter usage.May have to push it twice.

Wrong side of the stat, it's the middle button but on the left side. Push it 2 times and it will show you percentage of filter used and should give you a reminder when it is to much static for air to pass thru and let you know it's time to change it out.

Thank you

What does running fan in low 24/7 do?

What is the reason for running the fan on low during the heating season?

What is the benefit?

Also, if you have 3 zones, do you need to set the fan on low for each zone individually -- or does running it low in one zone, run it for all the zones in low?

Quote Originally Posted by eap View Post
    What is the reason for running the fan on low during the heating season?

What is the benefit?
    Evens-out the temperatures between floors of a multi-level home.

I do not run the fan constantly in the winter, but I do in the summer. It helps with air circulation and keeps the wife away from the t-stat because she doesn't know when the compressor cycles on/off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast