Curious - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curious

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
    My replies don't come to me in dreams.

Our local specialty contractor group has sponsored inspector round table meetings which get pretty comical because the inspectors get alittle loose and fight between themselves. This is why I for one am glad to have the state board to fall back on when the need arrives.

I provided a link to my states building commission where a contractor was having a problem with the local municipality and the resultant binding interpretation handed down from the state. Sans loop holes.

We won't fight over every little whim the inspectors have but when they start being bullies I'll fight till my eyes are black and they have knocked out my teeth.

I have gone as far as taking pictures of inspected installations that were in direct code violation and handed them out at the monthly governmant affairs meetings. This was a hugh miscalculation on my part. Back to winning the battle lossing the war analogy. Very painful for serveral months afterwards.

Good luck and I wish you well.
    I can relate to that.

When I started our business in Pinellas County ,FL,1976,they soon mandated
    duct layouts for each home ,that they did nothing with except file them.

So we did a few ,all with layouts showing every duct as a 4" round.Then after they were finished and passed inspection,I showed the layouts to the chief mechanial inspector,in protest as it was a waste of my time and money,to make and deliver them a copy to file away.

Big mistake for the next few months!!

I believe that in Texas there is no binding code outside of city limits and it varies from city to city. I was told that for Fort Worth, the code is R8 for SEER 13 systems and R6 for SEER 14 and up.
    Well, Paul, that's about to change on Sep 1, 2008. Code inspections will be required in all new home and remodeling projects in unincorporated areas in Texas. That's per 10 TAC 307.1-.7.

The default is IRC 2000. N1103.3 requires R-5 inside the building but outside of conditioned space; R-8 when located outside; within envelop, at least R-8 between duct and portion furthest from conditioned space.

M1401.3 requires Manual J or approved calculations.

When the inspections start, it will be like listening to coyotes howling at the moon. "Da veeping and da vailing of da vemen."

Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post

We won't fight over every little whim the inspectors have but when they start being bullies I'll fight till my eyes are black and they have knocked out my teeth.

I have gone as far as taking pictures of inspected installations that were in direct code violation and handed them out at the monthly governmant affairs meetings. This was a hugh miscalculation on my part. Back to winning the battle lossing the war analogy. Very painful for serveral months afterwards.
    I think we agree more than it might seem. lol

You are acknowledging the reality that we are subject to the interpretation of people who in alot of cases don't know as much as we do....

You do not however just except it, you apparently push them to uphold their mandate properly. I applaud that.

Good luck and I wish you well
    To you as well.

You have to define conditioned space first.

Like these code officials do http://www.boaf.net/phpBB2/viewtopic...ec479391a09e7e
    thanks for the link adrianf

Quote Originally Posted by sparksandfan View Post
    Well, Paul, that's about to change on Sep 1, 2008. Code inspections will be required in all new home and remodeling projects in unincorporated areas in Texas. That's per 10 TAC 307.1-.7.

The default is IRC 2000. N1103.3 requires R-5 inside the building but outside of conditioned space; R-8 when located outside; within envelop, at least R-8 between duct and portion furthest from conditioned space.

M1401.3 requires Manual J or approved calculations.

When the inspections start, it will be like listening to coyotes howling at the moon. "Da veeping and da vailing of da vemen."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12