Thread: Curious

Hybrid View

Curious

What are the codes on R value for attic installations in your area, also what state are you in?

In Florida, the code only requires R-6 for any installation that is not below a conditioned area and only R-4 if there is conditioned space above. (you can use R-4 on the first floor or in a crawl space so long as the floor above is conditioned.)

From what I have been reading it would seem to me that we are way behind the curve on mandating R-8 in this state.

In Virginia its R-6 although inspectors are wanting to see R-8, I suspect it will quickly become the standard here.

Quote Originally Posted by addamsmasher View Post
    In Virginia its R-6 although inspectors are wanting to see R-8, I suspect it will quickly become the standard here.
    And there in lies the problem what the inspector wants really has nothing to do with it. There job is to confirm the code is adhered to not create their own.

Codes books are like the bible; hand out twenty five and get twenty five religions.

Here in Nebraska the code reads R-8 supply and R-4 return for any duct in a unconditioned space. We also have the option to use all R-4 if the builder blowes enough insulatiion over the ducts in the attic to equal R-8.
    Its a good Life!

Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
    And there in lies the problem what the inspector wants really has nothing to do with it. There job is to confirm the code is adhered to not create their own.

Codes books are like the bible; hand out twenty five and get twenty five religions.
    Actually, their job is to interpret the code and enforce their interpretation.

So what they want has everything to do with it. lol

Eastern NC

R-8 residential

R-6 Comercial.

May have recently changed. But that was code bout 4 months ago when I left the residential market.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by DPSwitch View Post

If the code is specific and clearly stated there is no interpretation period. Or on topic R-6 cannot be interpreted to mean R-8.

One cannot interpret shall to have the same meaning as shall not.

Their interpretations can be over written with a building commission binding interpretation and their interpretation is not to vary from inspector to inspector in the same jurisdiction.

But a wise person will choose his fights (battle won, war lost) when dealing with inspectors.

Here's a little forum chat between building officials trying to figure out how to interpret.

http://www.boaf.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=596

Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
    If the code is specific and clearly stated there is no interpretation period.
    You ever perused the International Mechanical Code?

There are holes is it big enough to drive a truck through, and those holes are all wide open to interpretation.

It's been that way as long as I've been in the business.

I respect your outlook on it though, It would be nice if thats the way it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by DPSwitch View Post

Here is a final binding interpretation when the local inspectors are writting their own codes or making up their own code.

Know the code, know you're right and take them to task when it is worth while.

http://www.floridabuilding.org/Uploa...42_42Final.pdf

I believe that in Texas there is no binding code outside of city limits and it varies from city to city. I was told that for Fort Worth, the code is R8 for SEER 13 systems and R6 for SEER 14 and up.

paul42

we have a state code that is suppose to reduce the local jurisdiction issues. It has helped but it is far from perfect and forget Miami-Dade.

This has been interesting, so far we have one area that has different requirements based on whether the building is commercial or residential, and one where the requirements differ depending on the equipments efficiency rating.

As far as I know, the codes in Florida are the same throughout the state, with some areas adding to it to address their specific area. Like the Miami-Dade area mentioned above. Several of our hurricane codes on the west coast have been adopted from the Miami-Dade area.