Thread: It looks good on paper...

Post Likes

It looks good on paper...

First I must say that getting a few Manual J's and D's gives peace of mind.

I've been going over the ducting, comparing the design(s) of each. I see that the ducting has a column for TEL. Also each branch is listed as a separate measurement. It's great that this is part of the equation and I can grasp the concept as for why.

So my question is, Due to limited space in the attic am I able to streamline or cut down the length(s) of the ducting as designed? I have no problem with resubmitting a fairly detailed print or drawing of the workable routing and lengths that would result.

I understand that rules of thumb are bad and the Manual D was drawn with the TEL in mind. I even tried to self educate by crunching the room requirements as compared to the branch line vs the trunk line vs the cfm vs fpm and so on.

I am totally pleased with the engineered results but unfortunately it will be a PITA to make this work in my situation. It looks good on paper, but...

Post Likes
    I'm not sure what you're asking - but duct length is much less important than cross sectional area. Maybe that helps?

Post Likes
    The TEL is set from the Manual D. I need to chop that way down to make it fit in my small arse attic. I would have ducting criss-crossing, blocking egress, etc.

Is this doable or should I resubmit a drawing with what will fit keeping all as drawn trunk and branch dimensions and still have the same end result.

Post Likes
    use the dimensions of the ducts as your guide as to what size trunk, takeoffs etc, but cut down the lengths to fit your needs.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by regis101 View Post
    The TEL is set from the Manual D. I need to chop that way down to make it fit in my small arse attic. I would have ducting criss-crossing, blocking egress, etc.

Is this doable or should I resubmit a drawing with what will fit keeping all as drawn trunk and branch dimensions and still have the same end result.
    Are just using shorter runs,or reducing the duct size??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Are just using shorter runs,or reducing the duct size??
    I can't figure out what he's asking either.

Post Likes
    Apparently he has a drawing. That we can't see. And wants an answer based on us not knowing what he see's.

Post Likes
    Okay,read the OP again,think I understand.

Yes you can reduce the lengths,may need balancing dampers,as the shorter they are the more air they will get,but this is also the case with the original design.

You should not;
    Change supply or return grille sizes or location
    Add more elbows or turns
    Use fittings(transitions,etc.) other then shown on the print.
    Last edited by dash; 08-13-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Post Likes
    The operative word in the opening post is, length. Duct diameter is not going to be reduced. Defeats the purpose. I need that diameter to get the air into the room (s).

Can I cut down on the length(s). Will that defeat the purpose.

I think some of you read too fast
    Go easy on me, I'm new

Post Likes
    Uh did you read my post?

I used the plural of the operative word!!

Post Likes
    The operative word in the opening post is, length. Duct diameter is not going to be reduced. Defeats the purpose. I need that diameter to get the air into the room (s).

Can I cut down on the length(s). Will that defeat the purpose.

I think some of you read too fast
    Go easy on me, I'm new
    We're going easy on you because I think many of us suspect English is not your first language, not because you're new. Which is fine, of course. But if it is your first language - you type to fast - we don't read too fast. No-one in here could figure out what you were asking - and I said the cross section was more important than the length in the first reply!

Post Likes
    Thankx dash.

I am under the assumption that the length(s) of the ducting is part of, not just the reason, of the Man D to help get the airflow down to the rooms requirement.

As dash mentioned, a shorter run will get more air. So this means a longer run will slow it down? If so, will having to take a branch line from 20ft as drawn down to 8ft affect the airflow as described for that room.

Post Likes
    Thankx dash.

I am under the assumption that the length(s) of the ducting is part of, not just the reason, of the Man D to help get the airflow down to the rooms requirement.

As dash mentioned, a shorter run will get more air. So this means a longer run will slow it down? If so, will having to take a branch line from 20ft as drawn down to 8ft affect the airflow as described for that room.
    The velocity of the air is determined by the cross-sectional area of the duct.

Longer runs do impose more static pressure, but the difference between 20 feet and 8 feet is almost negligible. For the third or forth time, I lose count, shorten the runs and maintain the other dimensions the same as designed.

Post Likes
    Thankx dash.

Man. D determines he friction rate,which determines the duct size based solely on the longest return and supply air path.So all the shorter runs tend to get more air.Man. D suggests that balancing dampers be installed at each branch take-off,to allow for adjustment due to this.

We find that the dampers at the supply grilles will take care of any required balancing.

So yes yes,shortening it will have a minor increase in air flow,likly not an issue with proper design,in all other aspects of Man. D.

Post Likes
    If you shortened the longest runs,it could increase the total air flow,in which case you would select a lower fan speed,or add restriction to the main ducts to get the correct air flow.

We add 4 non-existent elbows to new home designs,to account for fild changes,and our installers know it,if the don't add any,we have less static which is easy to deal with,as stated above.

Post Likes
    Some knowledge. Thanks.

With all the hammering you guys, the powers that be, do, about getting the
    Manuals J,D, and sometimes S, forgive me when I have a question that deviates from what has been stamped out.

And well, if it takes three or four times to get the point across, so be it.

When talking with the tin knockers at work, they mention not to make a tap at the end of a run. Instead, have a dummy leg, of sorts, as the last few feet of the (trunk) line. Acts as a buffer or bumper or something. They deal with mostly, if not all, metal trunks as done in the commercial world. Maybe another moot point.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies. I'm done

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in