Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 15 SEER Goodman 410a system being installed. Questions...

Post Likes

New 15 SEER Goodman 410a system being installed. Questions...

Right now our Air handler is in the attic. I've read its better for it to be in the closet is that true? Would our returns still be in the ceiling? Is it ok to just leave the new one in the attic?

Should we go ahead and add insulation to the attic after we install the system.

Our old system the repair man said was grounded? It keeps flipping the breaker. Can I see where its actually grounded at? By looking at the compressor or something?

Post Likes
    In most cases your air handler would be better in the attic. That is assuming your attic is large enough for the unit and a decent service area. Some closet setups work very well, usually a closet limits the space for service, filtration and limits return air intake size.

If your compressor is grounded, you would need a volt / ohm meter and a qualified person to see if it was grounded.

Post Likes
    What happens for it to be grounded? Is there a physical wire that has came loose? Can I open it up and see it? Can one repair it? Can one cause it?

Post Likes
    Stop right there. Put the tools down and back away from the condenser before you get hurt.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pokerhard View Post
    What happens for it to be grounded? Is there a physical wire that has came loose? Can I open it up and see it? Can one repair it? Can one cause it?
    A wire could have come loose. Can't be repaired. You didn't cause this. You could cut the compressor open after it's removed, but why? There's an electric motor inside the compressor shell. A number of things could have caused this condition.

Post Likes
    Ok I'm just trying to understand what happened. Say you wanted to purposely ground it so it would just constantly flip the breaker if powered on. What would you do? Or how is one way it could be done?

Post Likes
    I would say grounding it on purpose it`s not possible.

Post Likes
    Ok I'm just trying to understand what happened. Say you wanted to purposely ground it so it would just constantly flip the breaker if powered on. What would you do? Or how is one way it could be done?
    Reading between the lines, either you don't trust the service company, or you want to sabotage someone. It's an electrical motor inside the metal casing. Nobody I'm aware of would purposely ground a compressor. These things happen. How old is this unit? What brand name? Model number?

Post Likes
    Can I see where its actually grounded at? By looking at the compressor or something?
    No, it would be an internal grounding.

Anybody that has a GE Weathertron is on borrowed time.

They were built like tanks. Very reliable. But, they don't last forever.

Its over 20 years old. Let it rest in peace, with good memories.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    No, it would be an internal grounding.

Anybody that has a GE Weathertron is on borrowed time.

They were built like tanks. Very reliable. But, they don't last forever.

Its over 20 years old. Let it rest in peace, with good memories.
    I missed that part. Where did it say what unit he has? Is there another thread?

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Oh, twenty year old unit and he's wondering if it's been sabotaged? Highly unlikely. I won't waste any more time here.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Right now our Air handler is in the attic. I've read its better for it to be in the closet is that true? Would our returns still be in the ceiling? Is it ok to just leave the new one in the attic?

Should we go ahead and add insulation to the attic after we install the system.

Our old system the repair man said was grounded? It keeps flipping the breaker. Can I see where its actually grounded at? By looking at the compressor or something?
    Go ahead and replace it,might want a second estimate,for peace of mind,not to go with the low bidder.

If ding insulation,you could end up needing a smaller system,Man. J load calculation will tell for sure,have it done.

Post Likes
    Its not so much that I don't trust them, but that I do want to see for myself. I'm curious about these things and want to see where it was damaged. So I ask again is there a way to purposely ground it to cause these symptoms? If so what would I look for?

Post Likes
    You would cut the compressor open.
    Then you have to disassemble the motor and look for hot spots.
    If you find hot spots. Then you have to align the rotor with the bottom piston.
    If the hot spot matches. Its a natural burn out.

Post Likes
    Its not so much that I don't trust them, but that I do want to see for myself. I'm curious about these things and want to see where it was damaged. So I ask again is there a way to purposely ground it to cause these symptoms? If so what would I look for?
    It's a valid question but, I don't know of anyone that's done it. You could change the wiring at the compressor and burn one up. As far as grounding, I really don't know. By the time you open up the shell, could you really tell anything? But, after it's removed, you can do what you want to it. It's yours. Good Luck.

Post Likes
    How would the wiring have been changed if it was purposely burnt up?

Another thing is can't I take this thing apart and take it to recycle for a few bucks? Or do the installers normally keep the old one?

Post Likes
    How would the wiring have been changed if it was purposely burnt up?

Another thing is can't I take this thing apart and take it to recycle for a few bucks? Or do the installers normally keep the old one?
    A. You wouldn't know if the wiring was changed. Anybody that would do any thing like that intentionally, would make sure they put it back the way it belongs.

B. Weather or not you can keep the unit and scrap it yourself, is between you and your contractor.

C. If I was soooo untrusting of a company that I thought they screwed up my 20 plus year old ready to die unit like you apparently do. I wouldn't be using them as my contractor.

D. I don't think I have said this more seriously to any home owner that posted on this board. I am glad you are not my customer.

Post Likes
    In any case how would the wiring have changed? Its not that I think something was on purpose by the contractor... BTW I never said this was a 20 year old unit. This is in one of my rental houses. Its about a 10 year old traine.

Its not so much the contractor I'm worried about here. Can someone tell me what I asked? Can it be done? How? What to look for?

Post Likes
    Those are the meanest words I've ever seen BT use! But, I think he speaks for us all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in