Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did I make a rookie mistake?

Yesterday I went to a call, compaint was suction line was icing up. I got there and found several problems:

1.) The 3M Ultra Allergen filter they were using was dirty

2.) In addition to filter above someone had put filters in all the RAG's

3.) Almost all of the registers in the basement and first floor were closed.

4.) The system was about a pound low on Freon.

I checked the indoor coil, it was clean. I undid all the things listed about and when I left the indoor coil was fully refrigerated, I had proper superheat. Well....

I had to go there again today for the same problem, well the problem was that the contactor was permanently stuck in. I felt like **** and like a complete moron that I didn't catch that yesterday. This customer keeps a low set point on their t-stat (70 degrees) and I could almost swear that the o.d unit had shut off because I had to bypass the 5 min delay when I put it in heat to thaw the coil. I take callbacks as the ultimate humiliation and feel like I made a rookie mistake. Did I?

**** happens just charge for the part no labor we live and learn

I bet you'll include checking for a welded contactor from now on as part of investigating an iced up evap coil.

The SOHK (School Of Hard Knocks) method of learning can suck sometimes, but it sure is a thorough teacher.

Oh well.

Don't be to hard on yourself. Chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. Things like this have happened to the best of us.
    Its a good Life!

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    I bet you'll include checking for a welded contactor from now on as part of investigating an iced up evap coil.

The SOHK (School Of Hard Knocks) method of learning can suck sometimes, but it sure is a thorough teacher.
    Yeah no kidding its just that if I had showed up to the house and none of the other problems were existant then that would have been one of the first things I would have checked, I guess I just got distracted by airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by addamsmasher View Post
    Yeah no kidding its just that if I had showed up to the house and none of the other problems were existant then that would have been one of the first things I would have checked, I guess I just got distracted by airflow.
    You weren't wrong to investigate the airflow route. In fact, you found problems with the way the filters were arranged in the system. Left neglected, the system could have at some point in the future iced up, which would have inevitably drawn out another callback. You were professional to investigate airflow vs. just throw gas in and walk away.

Now you will always have that little nagging voice in your head to make the contactor as part of your diagnostic routine. If you heed it, the lesson learned was worth the pain.

I think the customer was lucky getting you as a tech.

Some may have have diagnosed stuck cont. and left the airflow problem

No pain no gain

Quote Originally Posted by addamsmasher View Post
    I take callbacks as the ultimate humiliation
    I take call backs as a good lesson learned no more or no less, were all going to have them at some point, I don't have many either, but I sure don't beat myself up either over them. My thinking is all things happen for the good in my life, so just maybe if I have to come back a neighbor may see my truck this time and come over and say I am looking to purchase a complete system, can you help me out?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

It's part of the job, when you do a lot of a calls and you're hot and tired. Sometimes, sh1t happens. No biggie, learn from it and move on. Live another day.

If you had to bypass the delay it sounds to me like it stuck after you left. Maybe sticking intermittently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I take call backs as a good lesson learned no more or no less, were all going to have them at some point, I don't have many either, but I sure don't beat myself up either over them. My thinking is all things happen for the good in my life, so just maybe if I have to come back a neighbor may see my truck this time and come over and say I am looking to purchase a complete system, can you help me out?
    Unfortunately I drive an unlettered van, nice not to have call-in's though

Don't feel bad, it happens. I learned long ago to cycle the system, whether it was a heating or cooling call, at least one time. The customer would be looking at me wondering why I was still there and I'd just say, "I made it come on for you, now I want to make sure it shuts of and comes on again."

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    **** happens just charge for the part no labor we live and learn
    why charge no labor?

if he had to bypass a delay to get the condenser to run, that condition was not present at the time of service.

**** happens man .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast