Thread: Newbie with HVAC - Looking for assistance

Post Likes

Confused Newbie with HVAC - Looking for assistance

Hello

I have close to zero knowledge about HVAC systems and so I was hoping I could obtain some information on this forum. I also couldn't determine if this should be in the residential or commercial forum so I apologize if I chose the wrong section.

I was asked to do a air conditioning replacement recommendation on these old 3 ton AC units that are used to cool the modules of these computer rooms that act as control centers where I work. Currently, each module has its own 3 ton packaged rooftop unit. Besides from replacing with the same kind, I've also been looking into split systems and chilled water systems which could combine 2 or 3 modules into one central cooling system assuming each module still needs 3 tons of cooling. Windowed AC units won't work too well since these are fully enclosed structures.

I've done a decent amount of online searches but it's been hard determining anything. I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate on the cost of these different types of air conditioners or of any recommended manufacturers that I could look up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Post Likes
    Why would they ask you to come up with a plan, if you have no real knowledge of hvac?
    On something like this, it's best to call any local companies that deal with rooms and conditions such as these. Do you have a chiller you could tap off of for chilled water? Will any additional pumps be needed? What kind of GPM will be required, at what temperature? What's the target temperature and humidity of the rooms? Will dehumidification be required? Humidification? What is the load requirements of these rooms? Will low ambient cooling be needed? Is fresh air needed?
    Lots of questions that go into making something like this work good.
    We cannot discuss prices per forum rules.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Sorry, we don't discuss prices.

Call some commercial contractors in your area and gt prices and recommendations from them. And then repost here telling us what they recommend.

Post Likes
    Find yourself a Mechanical Engineering Firm in your area that can help you with this. They will help guide you through the design process, and they can also advise on fair pricing from contractors, as well as give you an idea as to what it all will cost.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thisaintalex View Post
    Hello

I have close to zero knowledge about HVAC systems and so I was hoping I could obtain some information on this forum. I also couldn't determine if this should be in the residential or commercial forum so I apologize if I chose the wrong section.

I was asked to do a air conditioning replacement recommendation on these old 3 ton AC units that are used to cool the modules of these computer rooms that act as control centers where I work. Currently, each module has its own 3 ton packaged rooftop unit. Besides from replacing with the same kind, I've also been looking into split systems and chilled water systems which could combine 2 or 3 modules into one central cooling system assuming each module still needs 3 tons of cooling. Windowed AC units won't work too well since these are fully enclosed structures.

I've done a decent amount of online searches but it's been hard determining anything. I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate on the cost of these different types of air conditioners or of any recommended manufacturers that I could look up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    I understand your pain. As facilities maintenance lead I frequently get problems thrown at me that I have no background to handle. In those instances I start working my contact lists and I bring in the best contractor for the job.

The important thing to do is to take in the long term expenses on the project. It is very easy to go with the cheapest install to only find out you screwed yourself on the operation and maintenance costs on down the road.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety".

TACLB28744E

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in