Compressor winding test

what is the proper way to tell if the windings are shorted in a compressor? I am not talking about from winding to ground. I am talking about winding to winding. Can these be checked with a megaohmmeter? I have read that the C-R and C-S winding should add up to the R-S winding resistance. Is this correct? I also know that if the ohm reading between any of the windings is zero then it is definitly shorted but what should most of the readings be?

Thanks

I would tell you but it might kill you so I can't. if your a pro join the pro forums and get your answer there. can't support DIY's.

ditto

Gee I thought I was gonna learn something new

I am a professional hvac technicial but I understood that you have to have a certain amount of posts in order become a professional member. I am licensed in North Carolina for residential and commercial construction. This is a question that I have heard so many different responses too and I would just like to get someone elses opinion.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rtregan View Post
    I am a professional hvac technicial but I understood that you have to have a certain amount of posts in order become a professional member. I am licensed in North Carolina for residential and commercial construction. This is a question that I have heard so many different responses too and I would just like to get someone elses opinion.

Thanks.
    Type some useless responses like this one until your post count hits 15, then apply for pro membership.

Thanks.
    Different responses? Heh, if there is more then one way to check a comp winding resistance i am going to have to learn something new.

Thanks.
    Still this is the public forum and can not post your answer here get your post up like stated and join the pro forum then ask anything you like.

Thanks.
    So are you a contractor or a HVAC tech???

You are double labling yourself there.....

I agree with clover....if there is another way of checking winding resistance, then its new to me...
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.