Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ducts replaced, Increase in temperature

We live in Florida just south of Tampa. Yesterday we had all of our metal ductwork replaced with new flex duct. They also replaced our merc stat with a digital one. So far so good

My wife likes to keep the house frigid, stat stays pegged at 70 year round. Since we had our ductwork replaced temperature has not gone below 76.

Any thoughts on why the temp would increase?
    We have a 2 1/2 ton Janijunk as they fondly refered to it.
    Any questions you can think of I can ask?

I am just a dumb homeowner, actually an Irrigation contractor , but I know virtually nothing about ac, I would think by removing the old metal ductwork with holes and leaks and such and replacing it brand new flexible duct, you would get more air into the home which should be cooler not warmer.

When I called the tech this afternoon, and explained the higher temps, I was told they would stop by and check the pressure. This is a father / son team, and yesterday when the father asked the son what the static pressure was his response was 75 then walked away. I don't think he ever got the other half 75 over what?

And to top it off, he fell through the living room ceiling so their drywall guy is coming out today. It is currently patched with cardboard and silver tape.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
    John

Did they replace the metal duct with the same size flex. If so, it decreased the amount of air your getting.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Flex duct should be larger than the original sheet metal ducts as beenthere stated. also did they replace the register boxes / boots? if not then they probably used the same size flex as the metal they pulled out, or they reduced back to the original size, either way means less air delivered to each run out. how about the main trunk duct did they check it to make sure it was sized properly?.

The system was off while ducts were replaced it's possible that it is using most of it's power removing humidity from the house and contents.

They used the same size flex as the metal. 5" 6" and I believe 14" r60 for the main run. They left all the original vents in place, added 2 triangle shaped boxes and inserted the appropiate sized rings. I do believe the main metal duct was larger, but I did not measure, only going by eye.

A 6" flex, is more restrictive to air flow then a 6" metal pipe.
    So your air flow is reduced.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Captube -
    I thought the same, but the system was only off for about 2 hours while they made the final connections to the air handler. I figured 20 hours was enough time to remove the humidity from my 1400sqf home.

Your low on air flow......

I hate them triangle things

Quote Originally Posted by papa_jo View Post
    I hate them triangle things

Fell thru the cieling?

The Three Stooges come out of retirement?

You got an undersized duct system. Those six " runs should be a minimum of seven. And r6 seems a little slim for Florida.

A static of 75? The worst it should be is .50.

Sorry to say you didn't get what you paid for.

Yeah, your probably right. It looked good from here

Airflow and the added heat gain from the cardboard is my new guess

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb_Homeowner View Post
    Captube -
    I thought the same, but the system was only off for about 2 hours while they made the final connections to the air handler. I figured 20 hours was enough time to remove the humidity from my 1400sqf home.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast