Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
    I might think about putting a vent on the return that you could close. You might find that just pushig supply into the room and then pulling exhaust out the fan will do the trick. 80 CFM will be more than enough for you to keep the temps and humidity down. I'm going to guess you'll have over 1000 watts of light on that tank, heat load will be big in that room.

Yeah, I was going to go with 3 - 250 watt halides, so 750 watts worth. I might add some T5s for actinic supplimentation. I'll look into putting the return on a damper. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by larobj63 View Post
    Well - if you do exhaust the room 24/7 - a HRV (sensible only - distinct from an ERV) might not be a bad idea. You would get constant fresh air - and it would be pre-conditioned. Just running direct exhaust will pull air in through the cracks - which I still think is no big deal at these cfm levels, but, hey if you plan on exhausting the room constantly, a 75 cfm HRV would be the most elegant solution (like I said in my first reponse ).

I do not know if the salt content in the air would eventually foul a plate heat exchanger - I suppose it might over time, and I don't think they're very "cleanable"...
    Good thoughts, larobj. I'm borderline at the limit of my budget just getting the Infinity HP / Furnace installed. I can always add a mini-split or HRV/ERV later I guess. The salt in saltwater doesn't evaporate. Freshwater evaps leaving the salt in the tank. The only problems I could see would be salt-spray. Most of these systems don't produce salt spray like trade winds off the ocean do.

Quote Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
    I would bet the exchanger would get clogged with salt crust in a month. The HRV would be the most efficient for sure if it would stay working. I'm just thinking that the heat load from the pumps/water/lights would be many times higher than pulling in hot air in the summer time. In the winter the cold air would be a benefit.

Will there be a chiller on the tank?? Need to figure the exhaust from that thin into the equation as well.

Just have to remember salt doesn't evaporate, just freshwater. The salt stays in the tank. Unless there is lots of salt-spray this shouldn't be a problem. The fresh air intake would be on a damper, so I can close it in the summer when it's too hot/humid. Don't know about the chiller yet.... I'm going to try and get away without using one, but time will tell. I'd be more apt to install a mini-split into the room before a chiller I think.

Quote Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
    Good thoughts, larobj. I'm borderline at the limit of my budget just getting the Infinity HP / Furnace installed. I can always add a mini-split or HRV/ERV later I guess. The salt in saltwater doesn't evaporate. Freshwater evaps leaving the salt in the tank. The only problems I could see would be salt-spray. Most of these systems don't produce salt spray like trade winds off the ocean do.
    No problem. I think Patches solution is very sensible. Put the return on a close-able damper/register and use direct exhaust. Not the most "efficient way" but it will get the job done. You could always put in a HRV down teh road. If the salt does not evaporate - there should be no clogging of the heat exchanger, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by larobj63 View Post
    No problem. I think Patches solution is very sensible. Put the return on a close-able damper/register and use direct exhaust. Not the most "efficient way" but it will get the job done. You could always put in a HRV down teh road. If the salt does not evaporate - there should be no clogging of the heat exchanger, I guess...
    Gotcha. I'll definitely have the crew put the return on a damper then. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12