Thread: Question about AC Thermostat

Post Likes

Question about AC Thermostat

I have a Honeywell Chronotherm III thermostat that is the original in the house (1993). I have a question about its operation that I hope someone can shed light on.

It seems that the thermostat will keep the AC running for a long time even after the thermostat says that the desired temperature has been reached.

For example, it is set on 77 right now, and has been on 77 for a couple of hours, and the AC has been running the whole time. I understand that the thermostat shows an average over a period of time, but how long should it be on a set temperature before shutting off the AC?

It does eventually turn off later in the evening and then appears to start a normal "cycle" of off and on.

I read in the manual that this thermostat also senses the wall temperature. Could this be skewing the temp readings and keeping the AC running longer than it should?

Post Likes
    The A/C can and will run when the setpoint temperature is displayed; it's job is to maintain that temperature.

Post Likes
    As said if the thermostat is not going below 77° then it is doing its job. The long run times could be normal or could be attributed to somthing else.

When was the last time the unit was serviced?
    Its a good Life!

Post Likes

Re: Question about AC Thermostat

The unit was serviced in May, so it is charged, etc...

The unit is underpowered, and we have other issues (Attic ventilation, etc...), so it is not running at peak efficiency.

I was just wondering why it would run for hours on end when reading the set temp. Is the thermometer in these things sensitive enough to know that shutting off for 5 minutes would not allow it to keep the temp? Does the sensed temp have to drop before it will shut off?

Thanks

Post Likes
    When it reads 75, the actual temp might be 75.5.
    So it keeps it running until 74.6

Here's the big question.

Is it keeping you comfortable.

Post Likes
    is this them old mecury stats?

Post Likes
    No, the ChronothermIII is one of the early model programable digitals.

A bit of a PIA to program.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by brandoh73 View Post
    I have a Honeywell Chronotherm III thermostat that is the original in the house (1993). I have a question about its operation that I hope someone can shed light on.

It seems that the thermostat will keep the AC running for a long time even after the thermostat says that the desired temperature has been reached.

For example, it is set on 77 right now, and has been on 77 for a couple of hours, and the AC has been running the whole time. I understand that the thermostat shows an average over a period of time, but how long should it be on a set temperature before shutting off the AC?

Sounds like typical, normal Honeywell digital 'stat operation. They measure temperature in 1/16th of a degree and use a little bit of calculus to determine the best runtime possible. They also lie on the display. If it's 77.5F and your setpoint is 77, it's going to show 77. Same is true if it's 76.5F, it'll still show 77F. It's looking at those hundredths of a degree and using its formula to determine when it should shut down. In general, assuming it's using default settings, the shortest it will try to run the unit is approx 20 minutes. Lots of variables involve here, so it could easily run 5 mins and shut down or it could run for 3 hrs then shut down.

The cheaper thermostats use simple setpoints...Honeywell's decided to use math instead. I like Honeywell.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info everyone. I kind of figured that it may be reading in tenths and just reporting full degreed. At night, it seems to run for 15 min, then shut off for 5, and as the night goes on, it will run for fewer 15 min intervals.

As for the comfortable question, It does an OK job, but I could use more insulation in the attic (im in Dallas, TX), so that the cool air will stay in the house longer. Im looking into this now.

Any suggestions on actually upgrading or changing thermostats? I would like a newer one like the Honeywell touch screens or the Rite-Temps. Any opinions on which one is better? (In general, not a specific model, I am looking at the ones for around $100 at Home Depot).
    Thanks

Post Likes

Re: Question about AC Thermostat

Thanks for the info everyone. I kind of figured that it may be reading in tenths and just reporting full degreed. At night, it seems to run for 15 min, then shut off for 5, and as the night goes on, it will run for fewer 15 min intervals.

As for the comfortable question, It does an OK job, but I could use more insulation in the attic (im in Dallas, TX), so that the cool air will stay in the house longer. Im looking into this now.

Any suggestions on actually upgrading or changing thermostats? I would like a newer one like the Honeywell touch screens or the Rite-Temps. Any opinions on which one is better? (In general, not a specific model, I am looking at the ones for around $100 at Home Depot).
    Thanks

Post Likes
    The VisionPRO TH8000 series is a nice thermostat, but I doubt they'll have them at Home Depot.

Post Likes
    That's easy -- avoid the RiteTemps. There's a reason you'll only find those in the home improvement stores and not sold by contractors. Similar for the Honeywell products found at said stores. They're a totally different product than what the pros sell.

Personally, the Honeywell IAQ if you have a variable-speed unit or don't want to ever hear the thermostat click. Otherwise one of Honeywell's VisionPRO series (TH8xxx).

Post Likes
    The chronotherm III is an excellent t-stat; if it's functioning properly, keep it.

Though they're easy to program, the number of buttons may make them seem intimidating to (ignorant) homeowners.

They're a totally different product than what the pros sell.
    From what I've read and Honeywell's literature they're stripped down pro versions with shorter warranties. (Still good products)

Post Likes
    I can't believe he cursed at us, saying he's going to get a stat at HD.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I can't believe he cursed at us, saying he's going to get a stat at HD.
    Well, it could be good news for whichever service company gets to replace the blown 24v transformer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa-fl View Post
    Well, it could be good news for whichever service company gets to replace the blown 24v transformer.
    LOL... True.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in