Hybrid View

Theory Question: Pressure drop across evaporator

Is the pressure drop across the evaporator enough in a normally operating system that the temperature correlating to the pressure read at the outlet of the evaporator will be lower than the coil temperature at the inlet? Does this account for being able to observe liquid condensate on the inlet while the suction pressure indicates a temperature below freezing?

Your question is confusing. Atleast to me.

Yes, evap coils have a PD between the metering device and the outlet of the evap.

But, as the refrigerant absorbs heat, it expands. So teh coil temp at the outlet should not be below that of the metering device end.
    If it is, you have other troubles.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Let me give the scenario to help clarify the question. I am adding charge to an R-22 unit that is way undercharged (Suction pressure 25 psi). The evaporator is frosting because at 25 psig the temperature of the coil is a little above 0*F. In the process of adding refrigerant the pressure passes through 55 psig which is about 30*F. At this point, the frost begins to melt. By the time the pressure rises above 58 psig (32*F) all of the frost has long since melted.

At some point during this process, the pressure indicates that the coil temperature should be below freezing, but the frost has melted already.

Would this be because the gauge was out of calibration, or is it possible for the pressure at the outlet of the evaporator to be a few points below the inlet pressure causing the frost to melt while the outlet pressure indicates below freezing coil temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by pwn01 View Post
    Let me give the scenario to help clarify the question. I am adding charge to an R-22 unit that is way undercharged (Suction pressure 25 psi). The evaporator is frosting because at 25 psig the temperature of the coil is a little above 0*F. In the process of adding refrigerant the pressure passes through 55 psig which is about 30*F. At this point, the frost begins to melt. By the time the pressure rises above 58 psig (32*F) all of the frost has long since melted.

At some point during this process, the pressure indicates that the coil temperature should be below freezing, but the frost has melted already.

Would this be because the gauge was out of calibration, or is it possible for the pressure at the outlet of the evaporator to be a few points below the inlet pressure causing the frost to melt while the outlet pressure indicates below freezing coil temperature?
    Warm air.

The refrigerant temp may have been under 32.
    But the actual coil temp was either at, or just slightly above 32.
    Heat transfer through the coil isn't 100% efficienct.
    Plus, the moisture in the air, won't freeze at 32° instantly.

Remember, water freezes to ice at 32, and ice melts to water at 32°.
    You have to remove 144 BTUs of latent heat to freeze 1 pound of water.
    Or, 9 BTUs latent per oz.
    Contractor locator map

I think I see. The refrigerant may have been at or even slightly below freezing, but it didn't have enough "umph" to win the heat of fusion fight with the ambient air to keep the condensate frozen.
    Last edited by pwn01; 08-13-2008 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Can't spell.

You got it.
    Contractor locator map