Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

soldering 2" copper pipe and fittings

Solder/BRAZING THE JOINTS ARE TAKING WAY TO LONG. hELP PLEASE??????

What type of materials do you guys use to solder 2" copper pipe/fittings with??

I use an oxygen and acet. tanks, I set them at 5 and 15, today I purchased 15% silver solder stick, square, 1/8".
    I am using a #4 rosebud tip..
    God Bless

As far as speeding up the process, there's only so much you can do without blowing your profit on bottle refills, or replacements for melted fittings. Which is why I stay away from regular rosebuds below 3”. For soft solder I use map (read somewhere its being discontinued) or turbo if available, ox- acet is too easy to overheat. For silfoss, a cutting torch with the cutting valve cranked wide open works like a small concentrated rosebud, and hitting the handle only flashes but won't cut. Uses a lot less gas than a reg rosebud. First time someone see's me use it that way think I'm crazy. Guess who finishes first. Everbody has their favorite, so trying different things and practice will make you faster.

I Think Your Oxygen Pressure Setting Is Too Low Set Acet. At 6 And Oxygen At 28 At Least. Hope This Helps

oxy/acet mixture is wrong causing a poor flame, adjust oxy ot provide a more neutral flame, or go buy a turbo with a big tip, it can handle two inch no problem.

Turbo torch with #29 tip, gets the pipe and fitting hot enough to work silfos easily. An A-14 will take a a little longer but you wont get as much sun burn.

I use propress......

Quote Originally Posted by ernie94 View Post
    I use propress......
    on refrigeration a/c piping??

28 Oxygen
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Tag team it with two tubro torches with the biggest tip know to man!!!!!!!

i did a whole bunch of 3-1/8 about 5 months ago using 15% no problem with a #4 tip...except for the fact that i went through a bunch of MC and R's!!! should have gone and got some bigger bottles and it would have gone faster. it appears that your settings are not quite correct and you may not have a large enough flame...big flame makes big heat...but be careful not to burn through it! on my set of gages (which may not be quite accurate), i use 8-10 psig acetylene and 20 psig oxygen when heating large fittings but the valves on my torch handle are not wide open either.

good luck.
    my 1st time jumping out of a plane...http://youtu.be/Kv38G0MHsGo

John Culpepper is offline CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS Professional Member*
    I use 8 psi act. and 20 psi occ. With a small rosebud tip. Just be sure that you move the flame around a bunch, so you do not overheat the fitting.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

If you have a bunch to do, nothing will beat a real torch set up (the tanks that are 4' tall) and a rosebud that's a true mans rosebud (it's about as big around as your finger, if not bigger). Used a rig like this a month or 2 ago brazing some 2 5/8"... mighty fast. Never timed myself, but I'd say a joint took me 5 minutes at most (just the brazing of course).

When/if you stop into the welding supply house ask them for a tip chart for oxy/acc. It'll give you a good ballpark of what pressures to be running, I'd say anything over 20psi on oxy though is too much for something that runs off our "normal" torch kits we carry in the vans, 15 maybe 20 would be much closer.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Hmm 2 '' copper ( 2 1/8 '' by my books ! )

We did a big warehouse years ago with 3 5/8 '' suction lines and I have even done a few 4 1/8 '' fittings.

The old timers insisted we used oxy / acetylene and a properly set rosebud tip; we ended up using an A-32 Turbotorch tip set @ 15 psi on the big acetylene bottle - nice thing was we used no oxygen, and, the problem we had with the rosebud, was it was too intense - if you were not careful, you would actually ' boil ' the silfos ( 15 % ) and end up with a ' grainy ' look to the fillet - not like a properly heated joint that has a nice smooth look to it. We were always worried the joint would fail because it had the grainy look, but did not seem to, however, it still wasn't proper.

Actually, 2 1/8 '' pipe is not that big - still use it once in a while - an A-14 tip will do it if you are not in a breeze - but a properly used A-32 will be better - just don't turn the regulator down or feather the torch handle valve. And remember to keep the nitorgen purge a goin' !!

Best of luck.
    Superheat and subcooling tell it all !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast