Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sizing problem

Question sizing problem

i have a new goodman 3.5 ton split system installed. its a year old and the installer says it has a 5 ton evap. coil. this is a heatpump and i went through the power company and had all new duct work install and manual j done. its freaking hot even on cool days and the thing runs all the time it seems. i understand that its a good thing for it to run but the house starts heating up mid morning and continues until late at night before it cools off. the company man has rerun the manual j and checked the load and says its ok. he said it was my old windows and doors. ok i know they needed replacing so i did that. its still hot............... the power company sent thier man to run a manual j and check the load on the unit..........guess who shows up too........ the installer. anyway the power company comes up with the same figures, the unit has a variable speed fan motor and i was running it in the on position. he says to put it on auto that that may be the problem.............well guess what its still hot...............help any ideas on what i should do now. i have been thinking of calling another company and pay them to do another manual j but thought they may just want to sale me another unit what would be my best route to go thanks in advance guys your all great.............

Your poor windows should be calculated into the load calc.
    Why the 5-ton coil?

Did they give you a copy of the load calc.
    If so, what is the sensible load.

Have you checked for duct leakage.
    Did they check SH, and SC.
    What is the coil delta.

How big is your house.
    Where are you located.(besides in Tenn)
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-12-2008 at 09:20 AM.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Probably a Goodman 4260 or 4860 coil, which can be used with more than one size outdoor unit, including a 5 ton.

To acheive a higher SEER i guess?

Possibly. That's just the way Goodman's coils and air handlers are. They are compatible with more than one outdoor unit nominal capacity. Similar to Carrier. http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/pdf/SS-GCoil.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Possibly. That's just the way Goodman's coils and air handlers are. They are compatible with more than one outdoor unit nominal capacity. Similar to Carrier. http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/pdf/SS-GCoil.pdf
    I see the 3-3.5 and the 4-5 ton coils. I dont see any that are rated 3.5-5 though. Am I missing something?

I checked on the AHRI database, and the GSH14042 is a rated match with the CAPF4860 coil (and so is the GSH14036). I think it all depends on what the individual outdoor unit is rated to work with. The "4260" I was referring to was in the variable-speed air handler AEPF4260.

Ahh, I see.

the house has 1984 sq ft in it. 6 windows on the west 2ftx4ft, 2 windows on the south 2ftx 4ft, and 3 on the east same size. standard 3ft door on the west and a 6ft french door on the east. both doors are located under porches and have good storm doors on them. the room temps vary 2 to 4 degrees which they say and i think is not bad except the utility room which is always from 5 to 8 degrees higher. it has only on vent in it and is 12 x 24 it has an extra frig and a freezer in it also. the vent is a 6 in. just wondering could the fan be too slow or too fast. just fishing for thoughts.

the house is located about 55 miles west of nashville and 40 miles south of clarksville. the installer used clarksville on the manual j because its closer to the same weather as ours

You don't have a high design temp.

Have they rechecked the duct work for leaks.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

yes and the duct work is fine, i have even checked it myself. i am not trying to be a pain in these guys side i want my house cool. it was suppose to lower my electric bill but its still as high as last year. i have worked in this field myself for a time installing duct work so i know a little about it. i wanted this to be done right and something i would not have to worry about. thats why i went this route letting a professional do a professional job. i could have ducted it myself and put in a packaged unit and got better results then this. it is a dual fuel heatpump also i didnt tell that in the beginning not that that matters at this point. i am to the point of just opening up all the dampers and letting it blow just to see what that does, i know it will not help the heating end of it but hey its gas too so i can just use that. any ideas what i could do.............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast