Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    los angeles is slow, looks like it's going to rain every morning, foggy

I am laid off. I have been laid off since the end of june. my boss told me he wants me to come back but unfortunately it wont be until next spring. he says the economy sucks and its an election year.
    Thomas aka...spymoocow
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    Ah, sorry I thought that's what he meant. An inch shouldn't make that much difference (at least that's what I always tell my wife).

Our little operation is sorta growing, but word at the supply houses is most everybody has had a slow season here in Vegas. We may be an anomaly, but I'll take it. Been busy, need another van, another tech. Looking for office space. GAWD I love global warming! Will everyone please buy and use more aerosol products?
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

im in dallas were crazy busy year round...we do a/c electrical plumbing refrigeration water treatment and building automation all our guys average 50 to 100 hours a week the key is to diversify yourself and become better than your competition so your always useful and needed and not just sitting around blaming your problems on george bush!
    Last edited by mechanicalgsxr; 09-06-2008 at 01:45 AM. Reason: error

Not slow here! We just got done with Julys PMs!

It's slowing down a lot sooner for us here than it did last year this time. I didn't even start getting less than 60 hour paychecks until November last year. Of course, December through March was alot slower than I'm kvetching about now. I am doing maybe 30 hours a week now with no sign of an increase, last winter I was lucky to get 20 hours a week.
    My employer is strictly service and an occasional changeout, with some PMs thrown in now and again but, not many. Problem here is the customers aren't going to spend any extra money for major repairs until they're absolutely out of reasons to delay a repair, i.e. the site has 4 units and one is down with a dead compressor, when they're down to only 1 unit operating they'll spring for the first compressor replacement but leave the other 2 dead ones down until the weather turns to summer again. No major repairs until it is absolutely necessary otherwise, keep 'em running as cheaply as possible.
    I have probably several hundred thousands of dollars in work waiting for the different customers corporate approval and I'm sitting on my duff praying that something will happen so I can at least earn gas money to get to the gas station.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Unhappy This year is slow

This year is slower than last. Very little OT even during the middle of August. It's the economy. No one spending. and we do all commercial.Lost alot of contracts. Quoted out work not comming in or being sent out for bid. I expect next year to be worse.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by aircooled53 View Post
    SLOW, it's HOT outside!!!!!!!!!

WE can't keep up and we need installer's. Our business has not slowed down, we work 60+ hours a week. And if your the lucky on-call technician you will be close to 70+.. $,$$$.00 week..
    Well, it hit here we slowed down to NADA I mean nothing. We hired a new technician, and I got 26 hours last week. I am not complaining , it's nice to have a rest after summer. AHS said they had 48 calls for all of Texas last week..
    Cool weather and the hurricane Ike I guess with the rising gas price and election has slowed it down. Not to worry our maintenance start Oct.1..
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Gents ,it is the same over here in UK...London..the work is slowing down because of the world recession.It is not down the a particular company ,it is simply economy for which some people get millions to maintain and could not predict a sh*t ,that so many countries like .....USA,UK........economy is gonna go down.
    One thing is for sure,now all cowboys are going to find to do something else and only the pros are going to remain.....like a mother nature self-selection...the strongest survive....

I used to work in the same area last year and it was fairly busy. Do you guys have the red vans? Got a service manager named John? There should be plenty of business up in those areas tho, do you guys do condo work? If not your company should be doing pm specials in those things, most of them have shoddy ac installs and furnaces that are getting up there in age. Also those goodman gmp furnaces are very popular in the condos, so finding heat exchangers with missing rings are pretty easy.

I dunno how the summer was this year tho, I got into the union back in march and my new company does commercial/industrial and they keep us busy.

We're slower but if we could figure out who's supposed to be doing the estimating we'd be in better shape..

now into the heating season. last year at this time there was 5 checkups a day. 3 average 4 if lucky. hopefully things change so all i can do is pray for really cold weather. best of luck to everyone else out there.

i survived the winter of working every other day. Been back to work the last 3 weeks. Hopefully come agust things aren't slow again. 4 months of partial unemployment sucked. It woulda been so much better to have all that free time when its nice out. i never get summers off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast