Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I assume your air handler is a 40RMQ dual circuit, if the oil leaves on start up and then returns when the unit shuts down, one of the check valves is open in one of the evaporator circuits. It is hard to find and figure out.
    Experiance is learning what doesn't work.

Keep Checking!

There is a small check valve between the sump and the suction inlet section under the motor that may be stuck. Also, I cured this issue on a large Carrier RTU by adding a 1/4 copper tube from the lowest point on the evaporator header directly back to the suction inlet of the compressor. Put a sight glass near the compressor and watch that oil suck back where it belongs! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by chillersandcontrols View Post
    There is a small check valve between the sump and the suction inlet section under the motor that may be stuck. Also, I cured this issue on a large Carrier RTU by adding a 1/4 copper tube from the lowest point on the evaporator header directly back to the suction inlet of the compressor. Put a sight glass near the compressor and watch that oil suck back where it belongs! Cheers
    This is a good idea and used to be incorporated into the larger Carrier 39 series coils as an oil return line.

Did you try reversing rotation? If affects oil pump.
    Like Jarredsdad's post filings not good.
    If it does make a difference there's really something weird going on, as the pumps are designed to work in either direction. But the compressor has worn in, in only one. If you try it, don't leave it that way, or you'll definitely have to get a new one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarredsdad View Post
    Comps will blow oil by just like a car with bad rings.
    Kraeusen, I guess I should said it like this.

how did my first reply get posted twice?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12