Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can I have 2 thermostats connected to my system?

I have an dual fuel system (American Standard Heritage 16 HP, Freedom 80 furnace) and an Honeywell IAQ thermostat.

What I would like to do is have a thermostat or sensor on the 2nd floor so that I can heat or cool the bedroom area to specific temperature at night.

I have looked at having a Honeywell sensor added to the 2nd floor. That seems like the easiest solution. However, the tstat allows either the tstat, the sensor or an average to dictate the temp. But that is part of the setup and not the program, so I would manually have to change the setup each night and I ain't doing that!

So I was wondering if a 2nd IAQ could be added and if either called for heat or cool, the system would respond. Is that possible? And would I have the 2 tstats wired to to 1 EIM or would I need to have 2 IAQ's and 2 EIM's and have both EIM's wired to the furnace?

Or could I have a zone controller installed, but with nothing connected other than the tstats?

Or is there some sort of timed switch I could have installed to switch between the 2 tstats?

Of course this type of set-up would cause cooling in unoccupied areas and is certainly not efficient and a zone system would be the perfect solution. However, comparing the cost of a zone system to this option, the break even is a long, long time!
    Thanks,

Mark

Not worth the headache.

Have you tried using the fan circ feature to even out the room temps.

You could have the sensors added, to use averaging.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

beenthere:

I actually leave the fan on all the time and it does a decent job of averaging out the room temps. It does much better at night than during the daytime. And doing what you suggest is most likely the best easy solution.

BTW, what would the headaches be in having 2 tstats? Curious minds and all that stuff!
    Thanks,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markf57 View Post
    beenthere:

I actually leave the fan on all the time and it does a decent job of averaging out the room temps. It does much better at night than during the daytime. And doing what you suggest is most likely the best easy solution.

BTW, what would the headaches be in having 2 tstats? Curious minds and all that stuff!
    Be like having two brains in different locations telling you how to act. It didn't work for Steve Martin and it won't work for you.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

To make this work you would need to install zoneing dampers and tie them into the second thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    To make this work you would need to install zoneing dampers and tie them into the second thermostat.
    this is the most correct answer to his problem!

Quote Originally Posted by markf57 View Post
    beenthere:

Isolation and lock out relays, so both stats can't call at the same time for different modes. Or back feed each other

Short cycling because one stat restarts the system 10 minutes later.

Temp over and under shooting temps because the stats can't calculate an accurate run time because the other stat keeps the HVAC running when it thinks its off.

Finding a tech that doesn't pull his hair out when you have a sevrice problem with it.
    Contractor locator map

A while back I was involved with a job like this. Boss installed a huge toggle switch the HO threw to select which stat (up or down) to control the system.

Goodman has an aftermarket zone system that looks easy to cut in. I don't remember the brand.

I thought Carrier had a programmable zoning kit. It's been a long time since I've looked at one. I would think a guy could install the controllers without the dampers
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

In fact April air makes a zone kit that uses regular stats. Just install the panel without the dampers if you want to cut the costs.

You would have to overcome the dual fuel challenges. Maybe Goodman's dual fuel kit might work.

Lennox had a zone kit that uses regular stats also. I've never set one up. But I think it's my turn next.

Most zoning companies have panels that could be used with out the dampers.

The zone panel would act as the isolation lock out relay.

Very expensive solution to over cool or heat one area to make teh other comfortable.

Cheaper to just set the stat higher or lower to make the other area of the house the temp you want.
    Contractor locator map

Huge toggle switch

I've actually looked for such a switch, without sucess.

Any idea where I might find one?

I used to have some pretty weird stuff I'd concocted in homes I owned.

Since I always had to de-weirdify them when I sold, I strongly resist
    the tempation.

And I've thought of home building a thermostat switchover device with
    a bunch of relays or even a solid state version with analog switches.
    But just a big honking toggle switch would be a cleaner solution.

Averaging sensors.
    You wouldn't have to remove them when you sell.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast