anyone use a fluke 62 temp gun to make customers happy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up anyone use a fluke 62 temp gun to make customers happy?

I know it sounds kinda crazy but I like to be able to show my customers I did them a service in some concrete way. If I know a system isn't cooling well I'll take the vent temps first and show my customers what they are. After the service I take them again and show the improvement. It has really worked well for me so far. I just have a quick look around to make sure that I'm not servicing a system there is nothing much wrong with before I put on my before and after show. Anyone else tried this?

If they have, they are probably not going to jump at the chance to talk about it in forum full of home owners.

Nevermind.
    Last edited by acobra289; 07-27-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Misunderstood original post.

Nope no hype no glamor. They call because they are uncomfortable, I just make sure they are comfortable when I leave and system is performing as it should. And I dont even own a temp gun.
    In my opinion they are just a tool to be lazy. I take my temps with temperature probes at the air handler. bet you use it for super heat and subcooling also.

Quote Originally Posted by obxtech View Post
    Nope no hype no glamor. They call because they are uncomfortable, I just make sure they are comfortable when I leave and system is performing as it should.
    A properly operating and adjusted system, that makes me comfortable, that sounds glamourous to me.

Nope no hype no glamor. They call because they are uncomfortable, I just make sure they are comfortable when I leave and system is performing as it should. And I dont even own a temp gun.
    In my opinion they are just a tool to be lazy. I take my temps with temperature probes at the air handler. bet you use it for super heat and subcooling also.
    Temperature guns have their usefulness. I use them in the plant to check how hot bearings may be running on pumps, motors, and blower shafts. Some of that stuff is up in the air a ways and the gun saves me from breaking out a ladder.

As for what the OP is using it for, I'd pass, opting for a more significant metric, such as using a Testo H2 in the supply and return plenums, in addition to using a manometer to measure static pressure, to get an estimate as to the actual operating capacity of the system.

Yea, it works really well to show them easily that they have a good temp. drop. I don't know how I ever lived without mine. It's a really good way to find loose electrical connections too.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    Temperature guns have their usefulness. I use them in the plant to check how hot bearings may be running on pumps, motors, and blower shafts. Some of that stuff is up in the air a ways and the gun saves me from breaking out a ladder.

As for what the OP is using it for, I'd pass, opting for a more significant metric, such as using a Testo H2 in the supply and return plenums, in addition to using a manometer to measure static pressure, to get an estimate as to the actual operating capacity of the system.
    Yes, I think they have their place. but not for diagnosing refrigeration systems or temperature drops at registers. taking temperature drops at registers will not give you an accurate reading as to what your drop really is. it needs to be taken at the air handler.

same here !! lazy mans tools
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Ive never used one either, totally useless for taking air temperatures, they are surface thermometers!!!

point one at the sky and see what temperature you get

Nah I do that by the book,

I just use it as a reference tool my customer can understand. I have a quick look at the system and if I see an obvious problem I take the vent temps (not really the air) the metal vents have a temp too, then after I do a service i take them again. (again in the metal vents) it may not be dead on accurate but its still a decent way to show that some good has been done..not just that it feels colder and you'll have to trust me. Thats all. Alsao it is good for looking for hot spots on electrical connections or burned out fan motors and such.

Ok yeah they are great!! I love when other techs use them. The more short cuts they take the more money I make. I think every young tech should have one or two.

yea i use them sometime it really helps shut the tenants up and other times they ask why its not the temp on the thermostate and then you gota explain to them how an ac unit works and watch them quickly loose intrest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast