Thread: heat pump sizing ?

Post Likes

heat pump sizing ?

I had an energystar,leeds hvac designer run a manual J on my home. He came out with 1.5 ton unit for the upstairs and 2 ton unit for the downstairs. He stated once the basement was finished that would drop the unit down to around 1.5 tons as well.

My question during the negotiation process, We decided to upgrade the stock ac system to a Lennox XP16 2 stage heat pumps. and g61V furnaces. The HVAC guy said they would use a 2.5 ton upstairs and 2 ton downstairs. I since came to find out they do not make a 2.5 ton unit.

Now with the Calcs the manual J came out with 1.5 ton per floor. Can I get away with a 2 ton unit on each floor. I know its larger but its the smallest units they make.

Post Likes
    Is the basement being conditioned by a third unit.
    If not, then finnishing the basement, means the unit for the first floor still has the basement load, to make it a 2 ton total load on that system.

As long as the VS blowers are set up properly. You should be fine using 2-2 ton 2 stage heat pumps.

Post Likes
    No the basement is not being conditioned by a third unit. It will run off the first floor unit.

Post Likes
    So the ½ ton you no longer need for the first floor because the basement is finnished, will be needed for the finnished basement.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in