Thread: Please Help!!

Confused Please Help!!

Hello Guys,

My wife and I recently purchased our first home in Boston and decided to upgrade the heating system. Unfortunately, we ran into the wrong installer. The home is 3 levels (1850sq ft), which includes an attic (that gets really hot). Per his suggestion we purchased a Goodman 115,000 BTU gas furnance, coiler, and a Goodman 4 ton condensor. The system was set up in the basement, and here is a description of of how he ran the duct work:

Trunk running from basement system to second floor where he has a branch to supply attic, master bed, and bath.

Return duct work on 1st, 2nd, and attic

The trunk on the 1st floor has, 6 take-offs (all on top of each other)supplying flex lines to the 1st floor rooms (800sqft)

on Second floor (700sqft) Branch of trunk with 7 take off's 1-bedroom, 1-bedroom, 2 masterbed, 1 bathroom, 2 flexible running to upstairs attic(300sqft).

That was my description of his set up, my questions are do I have the right system or should I have gone with a two stage system? Should he have had installed six take-offs paired in two's all on top of each other. What is the max distance allowed for flex duct, in order to get good air flow to the attic.

I have spent a lot of money on this system and would hate to have problems with please offer any suggestions. I appreciate your feedback

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Is the job even finished??

Design for sizing the system and the ducts is Manuals J,S and D from www.acca.org

We can't tell from here if it's correct or not.Pics would help.

General rule is multiple floors,multiple systems or zoning of a single system.
    Withot that expect some temp. differences between floors.

That is my question. Is it finished? Or are you just trying to find reasons and excuses? What specifically makes you think you hired the wrong person? 2 stage is nicer, but there is nothing the matter with single stage or non-variable speed furnaces. That is the majority of what is sold.

That is BIG equipment for 1850 sq ft

The job is not completed he still has to run the return line to attic, and set up the vent lines to system, run thermostats, and connect the condenser. The reason why I stated that we went with the wrong installer is because he hasn't shown up to finish the work, and will not return my calls this is after I gave him the last payment. I had a couple of other installers come into to see if they could finish the job and both stated that I should of went with a two zone system. I just do't know who to trust and plus I cant afford to redo the work for again so I was hoping that you all could provide some feedback.

Is this a legit company, or someone doing it on the side?

You already gave him the final payment?

I'm a firm believer in two stage furnaces.

Are you sure yours isn't convertible? Goodman uses a fields selectable circuit board in most of their furnaces. What is the model number of the furnaces?

And that does seem like a large furnace and zoning would be the way to handle multiple floors. You should click the HVAC Calc button on top of this page and buy a home owners version of load calculation software.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

You gave him the last payment BEFORE he was done???

How many other estimates did you get.

Your equipment sounds way big.

Call your lawyer.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If the thermostat is on the first floor how is the temp in the attic going to tell the system to run. i would break the system up into three zones