Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mind if I vent and I don't mean havin a coors

Post Likes

Mind if I vent and I don't mean havin a coors

I'd love to get some advice from some of you seasoned guys, and if I'm saying things that aren't supposed to be said on here please tell me and know it's accidental but I'm really pissed off. I've been working at the company I'm at now for the since mid-March 08. The boss started me off at what I was making at my last company and I agreed provided by the summer I was making a certain amount, he assured me that it would be no problem. So summer came and I said nothing as I noticed my hourly rate stayed the same. I waited about 3 weeks until one evening he dropped my off at home (he was on duty this particular weekend and we share the work van, its just him and I that have duty you see). So I asked him about my extra dollar and he said he'd have to think about it. I thought to myself, "what's there to think about" yet I just smiled and said "Have a good weekend, Tim." I heard nothing for two weeks until the next time he gave me a lift home. I finally confronted him about it and he said basically that for my time in the trade (2.5 years) I didn't deserve to make what I was making. He told me he didn't make the kind of money I was making until 4 years into owning his own business. I told him I didn't give a $#!t and that when and how much he made should have nothing to do with how much I did. So he made me an offer that was between what he promised and what I was currently making. I accepted but added that we needed to work out a commission plan. Well weeks went by and promises of commission kept coming but nothing. About a week ago I gave him a piece of paper saying I accepted the 24.50 he was offerring and that I wanted 10% commission on work that I brought into the company (friends, etc.) and left regular commission open. Well today he hands me my paycheck and a piece of paper disclosing the following:

Commission on equipment (H/P's, A/C's, etc.) 2%

Commission on accessories (Hums., EAC's, etc.) 1%

Commission in new work (friends, etc.) 3.5%

Service contracts (flat fee) $5 annual contracts are 150

I took this as a slap in the face. He didn't even discuss it he basically just said "F you this is what I'm giving you". I was so pissed I told him in reguards to bringing in new work he just closed a door he'll never open again. I want to leave and find another job so badly but the markets really screwed things up. What should my next move be? Should I be happy with that I've been thrown? I'd appreciate any feedback you guys have.

Post Likes
    One. what the hell does a avg. tech make where you live.10% is not to much to ask IMO.That of course is if you are worth it.

Post Likes
    This type of discussion doesn't belong in the open forums.

But, your complaing about getting what many techs wish they got.

Your not getting the most. But your getting more then many.

Post Likes
    Guess I'm sorry if it seems like I'm complaining. What I was trying to do is get a reality check I guess. I'm trying to figure out if I should be grateful for what I've been offerred or if my boss is a real *******. Just to clarify I was asking for 10% for business that I brought to the company, like the friend of mine who I had our company install an infinity system for instead of getting the equipment and doing it myself. My boss say's I'm pushy.

Post Likes
    I guess it all really matters what you bring to the table refelects what you should make,

so you have 2.5 years in the trade and do you feel that you are worth what you make? ive met techs with 10 years in the trade that were hacks and didnt know a thing, but then ive also met techs with fewer years experience that read alot and dedicated themselves to always being better and reading and staying up on the latest, and they were just mechanics overall, so figure out where you fall

but for someone riding shot gun in a van, getting droped off at home at the end of the day it almost sounds like you are being paid more than you are worth..

Post Likes
    My boss say's I'm pushy.

From your post, I might agree with your boss.

He may not be priced to pay you that high of a commision.

You might want to see if any other companies will even consider matching what you are getting.
    You might find that your missing out.
    Or, that your getting more then many other techs in your area.

Post Likes
    Were do you live? You only have 2.5 years in the field and you make that kind of $$$$$. If you think you can do better go look around and you might see that you have it good were your at or who know you might find a better job but were im at that looks great.

Post Likes
    Hey I appreciate that you're even replying to my jibber jabber. You seem well respected and you know what you're doing so I feel like I'm chatting with HVAC-Talk Royalty. Don't want to bore you with more details but unfortuately I'm quite loquacious. The market here in DC is slow. Theres been several days beenthere that I haven't even had one call, in AUGUST! ARI says #of units shipped out this year compared to last year is down 17% so its safe to say were in a slump. I don't want to break any more rules buts lets just say on paper the office has told me that I'm pretty much doubling what I bring in per service call compared to my predecessors. Alot of that was due to me raising prices and rated w/o talking to the boss and once he saw that people were paying he got on board. But his complaint is that I don't know about commercial rooftops like he had hoped I did. What I've done for his comapny hasn't meant **** to him and we all want to be appreciated know what I mean?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    Were do you live? You only have 2.5 years in the field and you make that kind of $$$$$. If you think you can do better go look around and you might see that you have it good were your at or who know you might find a better job but were im at that looks great.
    Look maybe this was a very bad idea on my part. If this is going to turn into a ***** fest by other people I want to remove this post. Let me tell you something, dude, for the last 2.5 years I've drank, I've breathed, and I've ****ted HVAC. If I'm not working or sleeping or watching spongebob with my daughter then I'm reading about something related to HVAC whether its about the latent heat of vaporization or how to wire a dual fuel thermostat I've EARNED every f'ing cent I make. When I got into this trade I decided I was going balls to the wall and I wasn't going to let other people dictate to ME how I was going to progress in this trade. BTW I live outside washington dc and I pay 1750 a month for a 2 bedroom condo so keep cost of living in mind before you all think I'm richie rich.

Post Likes
    Dude you are a jackass and if you worked for me I would bring you down a notch or two.Trust me.

Post Likes
    Hang on or with me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by addamsmasher View Post
    I'd love to get some advice from some of you seasoned guys, and if I'm saying things that aren't supposed to be said on here please tell me and know it's accidental but I'm really pissed off. I've been working at the company I'm at now for the since mid-March 08. The boss started me off at what I was making at my last company and I agreed provided by the summer I was making a certain amount, he assured me that it would be no problem. So summer came and I said nothing as I noticed my hourly rate stayed the same. I waited about 3 weeks until one evening he dropped my off at home (he was on duty this particular weekend and we share the work van, its just him and I that have duty you see). So I asked him about my extra dollar and he said he'd have to think about it. I thought to myself, "what's there to think about" yet I just smiled and said "Have a good weekend, Tim." I heard nothing for two weeks until the next time he gave me a lift home. I finally confronted him about it and he said basically that for my time in the trade (2.5 years) I didn't deserve to make what I was making. He told me he didn't make the kind of money I was making until 4 years into owning his own business. I told him I didn't give a $#!t and that when and how much he made should have nothing to do with how much I did. So he made me an offer that was between what he promised and what I was currently making. I accepted but added that we needed to work out a commission plan. Well weeks went by and promises of commission kept coming but nothing. About a week ago I gave him a piece of paper saying I accepted the 24.50 he was offerring and that I wanted 10% commission on work that I brought into the company (friends, etc.) and left regular commission open. Well today he hands me my paycheck and a piece of paper disclosing the following:

Commission on equipment (H/P's, A/C's, etc.) 2%

Commission on accessories (Hums., EAC's, etc.) 1%

Commission in new work (friends, etc.) 3.5%

Service contracts (flat fee) $5 annual contracts are 150

I took this as a slap in the face. He didn't even discuss it he basically just said "F you this is what I'm giving you". I was so pissed I told him in reguards to bringing in new work he just closed a door he'll never open again. I want to leave and find another job so badly but the markets really screwed things up. What should my next move be? Should I be happy with that I've been thrown? I'd appreciate any feedback you guys have.

first off he is right and you are wrong
    time in the field schooling knowledge has to mean something. You are making top dollar in just about everywhere and you are complaining like a school kid
    time to put your self in check.

your commission plan seems OK also

I realy dont see your problem. Relality check in most places 2.5 years in the trade is between 10 and 15 so stop *****ing and start earning your keep

Post Likes
    In other words shut the fwuck up.

Post Likes
    I would still suggest, being patient.(gonna be tough for you).
    Most of us were youg once. I just can't remmember it anymore.

Besides your friends, do you do any After hours sales calls.
    If not, you might want to see if he'll pay more commision on After hours sales calls.
    He may be using those rates, because your also receiving hourly pay.

Are you keeping a personal log, of your sales.
    You should.
    Then next time you bring up pay. You can justify increased commisions because of a high closing rate.
    Or, if its low. You may not want to ask.

Post Likes
    Don't know what you have until you loose it stupid.

Post Likes
    Well, prior to the commission program I've only been keeping my own personal sheets. Just on repairs average about 800 per day. Of course when the calls aren't there I can't make that happen. The month of july was my first month that they tracked. I didn't know they were going to pay me for july or I would have kept better record but they gave my commission on 31k in equipment sales. Around here, most companies are paying 4-5%. I work for a very small outfit so I don't necessarily expect the same as I would get from a larger more stable company. I just felt like for what I've done for his business (earning my keep as one jackass put it) he'd be grateful. I'm not saying he should be wanting to have my baby but reward my loyalty thats all. And in his mind he doesn't expect me to ask him for a raise for a long time. In the process of discussing all of this one of the things he said was that if he gave me a raise now would I be coming back to him in a year asking for another one?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RDP View Post
    Don't know what you have until you loose it stupid.
    LOOSE [loos] n-

1. free or released from fastening or attachment: a loose end.

I think what you meant to say was "until you lose it stupid."

Post Likes
    Well, prior to the commission program I've only been keeping my own personal sheets. Just on repairs average about 800 per day. Of course when the calls aren't there I can't make that happen. The month of july was my first month that they tracked. I didn't know they were going to pay me for july or I would have kept better record but they gave my commission on 31k in equipment sales. Around here, most companies are paying 4-5%. I work for a very small outfit so I don't necessarily expect the same as I would get from a larger more stable company. I just felt like for what I've done for his business (earning my keep as one jackass put it) he'd be grateful. I'm not saying he should be wanting to have my baby but reward my loyalty thats all. And in his mind he doesn't expect me to ask him for a raise for a long time. In the process of discussing all of this one of the things he said was that if he gave me a raise now would I be coming back to him in a year asking for another one?

Well there you have it, i can tell you that i dont make that, or commission, and i dust you in avg sales a day, my average is around 1,100 a day in repairs, and thats just repairs.

so yes on a good day ill can usually pull like 1,600 to 3,000 in a day, then sometimes on a slow day you dont make much past a few hundered bucks

but i still get paid either way dont you?

i really dont have to see what you are complaining abt, in todays economy with people gettng laid off and jobs being out sourced maybe you should just be happy you have a well paying job

Post Likes
    Look maybe this was a very bad idea on my part. If this is going to turn into a ***** fest by other people I want to remove this post. Let me tell you something, dude, for the last 2.5 years I've drank, I've breathed, and I've ****ted HVAC. If I'm not working or sleeping or watching spongebob with my daughter then I'm reading about something related to HVAC whether its about the latent heat of vaporization or how to wire a dual fuel thermostat I've EARNED every f'ing cent I make. When I got into this trade I decided I was going balls to the wall and I wasn't going to let other people dictate to ME how I was going to progress in this trade. BTW I live outside washington dc and I pay 1750 a month for a 2 bedroom condo so keep cost of living in mind before you all think I'm richie rich.
    First off, if you worked for me at those wages you would have take an HVAC knowledge test, if you did well enough we would have long respectful talks & you would learn how to use a proper sequence trouble-shooting systems, & doing things the RIGHT way.

I would dialog with you in an honest manner your pay-scale, & would expect you to have a proper attitude toward me, & toward all prospects & customers.

A good tech with a good attitude is worth a lot, however, I did all my work myself & only hired help to get units up on roofs, etc.

I will never understand this, but I never had anyone complain about my work, guess just lucky to have customers with good dispositions. No, I did not do everything perfectly, none of us are perfect, but our work needs to pass muster.

You might learn a little from my Internet pages, follow the links.
    http://www.udarrell.com/airconditioning-sizing.html
    - udarrell

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklabelman1 View Post
    Well there you have it, i can tell you that i dont make that, or commission, and i dust you in avg sales a day, my average is around 1,100 a day in repairs, and thats just repairs.

so yes on a good day ill can usually pull like 1,600 to 3,000 in a day, then sometimes on a slow day you dont make much past a few hundered bucks

but i still get paid either way dont you?

i really dont have to see what you are complaining abt, in todays economy with people gettng laid off and jobs being out sourced maybe you should just be happy you have a well paying job
    Look, I was hoping to get some sound advice from some people not turn it into a competition, it's not my fault you don't get commission or make as much as I do might I suggest talking to your boss unless you are your boss. My original questions weren't "How is what I'm making compared to you other guys?" or "Does anyone think that I make too much money?" or "Do you want to know where I live so you can all marvel at how much I'm making for my time in the trade?".

On another note, I live in a condo and was thinking about replacing the system. I've got a 2 Ton Condenser with a 30RAQ First Co. Air Handler with Water Coil. I've been jonesing to put in a heat pump. Two problems. One, the AHU is 120 and theres no way to run new power supply so I'd have no electric heat which I can deal with. Second problem is that they ran only two conductor wire outside. Just wondering if I install a transformer outside and phase it properly could I get away with running a heat pump with my two low voltage wires?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in