Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To all you DIY'ERS

I relize the pics suck but you get the point besides all I had was my camera phone.

Went on a call because the fan ran all the time.This is a old heil gas furnace that apparently the blower went out and the guy is a "electrician" and he got them a blower motor and install it.You see he didn't know his @$$ from a hole in the ground.The kicker is he tuned the gas valve off because he wired the low voltage wrong.Why he messed with the low voltage is beyond me.

The blower motor was not the right one but they did not want to replace it.I will not give any step by step on open form but think to yourself how much this cost him and how much he would have saved if a technician would have installed it.

I don't mind going behind you diy'ers it is money in the bank but this dude could have gotten hurt I mean look at all those wires.

Before the pro's ask yes I put a cover over the switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by RDP; 08-08-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Nice........a WOS candidate for sure.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Oh by the way it was funny.He did not tell me he replaced the motor before I went in the attic.I climbed down looked at him and smiled and said "who attemped to replace the motor".He started laughing and said I did.How much will it cost me?My reply "I was wondering how I would put my kids through college now I know".He just looked at me.I said hang tight and I will give you a quote.

Wow i always love walking into stuff like that out on calls, i reallllly like engineers who find where we hide our service manuals, and tech sheets, haha

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklabelman1 View Post
    Wow i always love walking into stuff like that out on calls, i reallllly like engineers who find where we hide our service manuals, and tech sheets, haha
    I just don't want some body killed while they try to engineer things they don't understand.

i was being sarcastic

Quote Originally Posted by RDP View Post
    I relize the pics suck but you get the point besides all I had was my camera phone.

Went on a call because the fan ran all the time.This is a old heil gas furnace that apparently the blower went out and the guy is a "electrician" and he got them a blower motor and install it.You see he didn't know his @$$ from a hole in the ground.The kicker is he tuned the gas valve off because he wired the low voltage wrong.Why he messed with the low voltage is beyond me.

The blower motor was not the right one but they did not want to replace it.I will not give any step by step on open form but think to yourself how much this cost him and how much he would have saved if a technician would have installed it.

I don't mind going behind you diy'ers it is money in the bank but this dude could have gotten hurt I mean look at all those wires.

Before the pro's ask yes I put a cover over the switch.
    There are too many DIYs that do not know there own limits. However, there are also too many technicians that fit in that same category. Not all DIYs are the same, not all technicians are either.

The last technician that worked on my system told me that a Honeywell IAQ would not work on my air handler - after the company assured me that they understood exactly what I wanted and they would have no problem installing it on my system.

I'm sure that there are technicians that could have installed it in a lot less time than it took me. However, it was faster to install it myself than it was to find a technician that had the training.

I do know my limits - I find a hvac tech for anything that requires gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by paul42 View Post
    There are too many DIYs that do not know there own limits. However, there are also too many technicians that fit in that same category. Not all DIYs are the same, not all technicians are either.

The last technician that worked on my system told me that a Honeywell IAQ would not work on my air handler - after the company assured me that they understood exactly what I wanted and they would have no problem installing it on my system.

I'm sure that there are technicians that could have installed it in a lot less time than it took me. However, it was faster to install it myself than it was to find a technician that had the training.

I do know my limits - I find a hvac tech for anything that requires gauges.
    WHAT?Then you need a tech more than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklabelman1 View Post
    i was being sarcastic
    I know you was I was just making a point to who does not understand.

we had an "electrician" come in the other day and buy a capacitor. then he wanted us to explain how to hook it up. I wonder if the smoke is still in it.....

Was the sparky's name "Dick" by chance?

It is now.But his name is james.

Confused head shaking

Went on a call today, irate owner is going broke heating his swimming pool. Owner has an electrical engineer (who never worked a day in his life as an HVAC engineer) friend who "helps" with his pool. After a propane heater was installed "helper" engineer said it was not drawing properly and spilling combustion gasses into the room. Pool service installed new heater. Engineer friend said problem not solved. Engineer friend refused to work on heater because he said he was not qualified and the heater was defective and dangerous. Owner then called well established heating contractor to fix problem. A few days later, heater room floor was under four feet of water. After pumping water out, the heater was observed to be a blob of molten metal. Apparently, when the water flow stopped (as pools often do) the flame kept on until something melted and the pool flooded the room extinguishing the blaze. The engineer friend then told owner to replace propane heater with electric. Everything went well until owner hired an HVAC "consultant", who recommended propane to reduce costs. The consultant apparently did not observe that owner was using off-peak electricity which was then cheaper than propane and now is half of propane. Owner wants to go back to electricity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast