Surprised No One Died...

Went to a clean and check in an older house in a golf course subdivision. The house was over 5,000 sq. ft. and had 3 Lennox G11 Conservator 80% furnaces from 1980-1981. They also had 3 A/C, 3 General humidifiers, and 3 Lennox EAC units.

All 3 furnaces had cracked heat exchanger panels. All panels. 2 had panels that looked like this:

The holes are baseball sized.

Oh, and I bet these A/C units work great!

The dude just bought the house and wants everything replaced now. WooHoo lots of commissions for me.

All 3 TXV bulbs were like this!?

I bet the compressor got flooded a few times.

Out of curiousity how does the G11 get an 80% rating - do they have vent dampers?
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

I hope you shut the gas off to those units and tagged them even though it is probably to hot for heat.

As for the bulbs. Man I thought it was bad when the installers used tie wraps on the bulbs. That was not a hack job. Those guys where idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by meoberry View Post
    As for the bulbs. Man I thought it was bad when the installers used tie wraps on the bulbs. That was not a hack job. Those guys where idiots.
    How bout when they mount the bulb with a tie wrap, AND with insulation between the bulb and suction line, then wrap it all with cork tape?

If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Did the furnaces have rollout safeties them? Were they working or jumped out? As for the TXV bulbs, how many compressors did they go through? What a mess!!
    Last edited by ldmth44; 08-09-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: question
    Psalm 51:10, 12

Quote Originally Posted by ldmth44 View Post
    Did the furnaces have rollout safeties them? Were they working or jumped out? As for the TXV bulbs, how many compressors did they go through? What a mess!!
    other than the TXV bulbs not being insulated, what is wrong with them?

We have put in a few M-coils, and we mount the bulbs on the suction line right outside the coil. We use the strap that comes with the bulb of course, and then wrap the whole thing in cork tape. They have all worked well.

The TXV bulb looks like it's mounted on top of the suction line insulation.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by ct_hvac_tech View Post
    other than the TXV bulbs not being insulated, what is wrong with them?
    Kinda hard for the bulb to sense the suction line temperature with insulation between the bulb and the suction line...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    How bout when they mount the bulb with a tie wrap, AND with insulation between the bulb and suction line, then wrap it all with cork tape?

Somebody was getting even with somebody. They went to alot of extra work and trying to make it hard to find.

On top of all said. Any one notice the bulb is upside down? It should be turned 180* the keep the more saturated refer in the bulb. Probably the only thing that kept the flood back throttled down.

All TXV bulbs were upside down and over the top of the insulation. They guy just moved in a month ago or so so I can't presume as to how many compressors they went through. The ones on there now were a tad noisy.

You're right that a G11 isn't even close to 80% however for explanation purposes it's easier than saying "not high efficiency". It goes out a steel flue.

The rollouts were never activated for some reason. There was very little soot too. All the faults were at the very rear of the exchangers.

All units were shut down so that someone would have to make multiple steps to reactivate them. I only killed the heat side. I let the A/C keep churning away.