What to look for in replacement etc

What to look for in replacement etc

I have had different estimates, mostly salesmen come out. Some are using foil covered duct lines, some I don't know. Condenser 13 seer, heater 80% efficient, 4ton, right now I have a 3ton. I have received estimates for just above builders grade for 14000 to 16000. They don't even look in the attic. Is this the way it is normally done. It just seems really expensive to me. My system is working, but old, is there a lower price in the fall or winter months or is this about the cost of things. My home is 1700 sq feet.

Been a long time since I've been here.

In as few words as possible, did any of them do a heat loss/gain? If not, you will not be getting your money's worth.

In my opinion, the only reason prices may be lower in the 'off months' is the businesses want to stay busy. They equipment costs the same, but they may be charging less for the labor.

Oh, and a new system should cost you less money to operate, given the same conditions year to year.

No, no one has done a heat loss test. The only thing they all seem to do is present this large portfolio on why we should use them

First, edit out the pricing, its not allowed here.

Did/does the current unit maintain temp. If so, what reason did they give for increasing size by a full ton.

Call other companies. Screen them over the phone. If they don't, or won't do a load calc. Tell them no thanks.

What area do you live in.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by jingles1 View Post
    No, no one has done a heat loss test. The only thing they all seem to do is present this large portfolio on why we should use them
    Makes me want to think about the people that brag about how big/large/wonderful things are.

It makes you wonder how many of the references are family members?

You need to compare apples to apples, not cherries to coconuts.

As much as I dislike clients that call 12 companies including me, you have to make sure you have the best. Cheaper isn't always better.

The old unit runs constantly never seems to hit the desired temp of 75-76 plus facing west in california temperatue in the summer is 95- 110. The house is 1700 sq feet. Most want to go up to 5 ton but I am afraid of the on-off cycle so I want to stay at 4 ton for that reason.

What temp does it maintain?
    A jump from 3 to 4 tons is a big jump.
    I'd look for ways to cut down on the heat gain. Instead of getting a unit that uses more electric, and may give you humidity problems.

How much insulation do you have in the attic, can more be added be added to the attic.
    That alone may enable a 3 ton to maintain temp.
    Do you have any leaks around your windows, that you can caulk. Again, that can decrease the size A/C you need.
    Is your duct work in the attic, or in conditioned space. If its in teh attic. If it leaks, you could be losing 30% of your A/Cs cooling ability because of those leaks.
    Might want to check them, or have them checked.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?