+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HVAC scam I'd like to share

Post Likes

HVAC scam I'd like to share

I'm new to this forum, but am an HVAC professional. I've learned from the DIY crowd that HVAC guys are always looking for a way to rip-off their customers. Hence, I'd like to share my scam. The building guy was told by his very honest electrician that the reason his boiler pump motors kept burning out was the poor quality of power in the area. After I changed out the motor, I opened the disconnect-

I sold the guy on "motor protection" by putting together a bunch a buzzwords like, "3 phase motors don't have built-in thermal overload protection, so you need something to cut out in case of over-current or loss of phase. The chump fell for it.

Post Likes
    Hmm...I'm trying to figure out if that was sarcasm or not???

I see you are showing a motor starter there.

Many 3 phase motors DO need protection. Like 3 phase, current and voltage monitors.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PaysonHVAC View Post
    Hmm...I'm trying to figure out if that was sarcasm or not???

I see you are showing a motor starter there.

Many 3 phase motors DO need protection. Like 3 phase, current and voltage monitors.
    I was being sarcastic. The electrician removed the heaters, and put nice crimp connectors on the motor leads that he moved up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiPC View Post
    I was being sarcastic. The electrician removed the heaters, and put nice crimp connectors on the motor leads that he moved up.
    More likely he never installed the heaters in the first place.
    Edited by powerhead on more than one occasion

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiPC View Post
    Ah ha I see. You were laying it (sacasm) on so thick that it was hard to tell, LOL!

So he removed the heaters from the starter switch? I guess he no longer gets current protection on that motor!

Post Likes
    No heaters makes sense,the bad power in the area would cause the heaters to burnout and you have a call back. So he took it upon himself to take care of that now. What a great guy:

Post Likes
    I'm going to have to agree with the electrican on this one. I cant stress enough how important phase monitors are, they are well worh the money spent.

Post Likes

Angry

you have nerve calling your customer a chump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tech like YOU....THAT give HONEST techs a bad name..........Remember they TRUST you.....HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nichvac View Post
    you have nerve calling your customer a chump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tech like YOU....THAT give HONEST techs a bad name..........Remember they TRUST you.....HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Numbnutz!

Hey guys, I don't deal with 3 phase at all. What are the purpose of these heaters you are talking about? Phase monitors I think I can figure out myself.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Punky View Post
    Numbnutz!

Hey guys, I don't deal with 3 phase at all. What are the purpose of these heaters you are talking about? Phase monitors I think I can figure out myself.
    The "heaters" are basically a overcurrent protection. They come in different ratings based on amp draw of the load. You put in a set to big and they will never trip out, too small and they will trip under normal conditions.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in