Red face Aprilaire 2200 vs Honeywell F100

I'm getting bids for new Carrier Infinity HVAC installed. Both companies are recommending different air cleaners, Aprilaire 2200 and Honeywell F100.

1. Are both of these basically the same?
    2. They both use MERV rated bypass filtration correct?
    3. Is one slightly better than the other in terms of quality?

Thanks!

I looked at both of these and ultimately chose the Generalaire version (which is very similar to the F100 and can even use the same filters) but was lower cost.

What turned me off on the Aprilaire isn't the extra steps that you have to go through to install it with a new clean filter....but going through those steps to remove the old dirty/dusty filter when it is time for replacement. For the GeneralAire version I simply slide the old media right into a trash bag and slide the new media right in...

Maybe someone will come along and tell you that the Aprilaire is more efficent? or has a lower pressure drop? don't know....I could not get pass the removing each dirty pleat step and disconnecting the dirty filter from the housing before installing the replacement.

Also, I beleive the bypass you are referencing is for humidifiers not filters.

Key1
    In the land of the blind.....the man with one eye is king....

Ok, I just read the owner's manual online and I believe it's as easy as taking out the old media and placing a new media filter in place. Perhaps I used 'bypass' incorrectly, but was meaning they both do not use electricity... such as an electronic air cleaner.

Can anyone tell me the big differences between the two models?

I'm gonna be out of line here.

Look at the MERV rating. Compare the ratings to the required airflows (dirty filters restrict airflow at different ratres?) Are the MERV ratings (of the fresh filter)real close?

As long as the companies stand behind their installations, you should be fine.

You get five HVAC people out to look at the exact same problem, you may get 6 different answers. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by coldbeer View Post
    I'm gonna be out of line here.

Look at the MERV rating. Compare the ratings to the required airflows (dirty filters restrict airflow at different ratres?) Are the MERV ratings (of the fresh filter)real close?

As long as the companies stand behind their installations, you should be fine.

You get five HVAC people out to look at the exact same problem, you may get 6 different answers. YMMV

You got that right!!! I've had about 6 HVAC estimators out so far and every one of them have different opionion on the 'right' system for my house. I've narrowed it down though.... Going to go with Carrier Infinity Heat Pump Hybrid with Gas Furnace.

I believe the Aprilaire is MERV 10 and the Honeywell is MERV 11 respectively. As far as funcionality they are relatively the same thing, correct?

When I do an installation, if we do a media type filter I use either an AirBear (similar to the Honeywell F-100) or an AprilAir 2200. You can also use an UltraVision, it is similar to an AirBear, and about the same price. The UltraVision comes with a MERV 11 cartridge, the AirBear comes with a MERV 8 cartridge.

The choice comes down to two questions: Does the customer really need (as in breathing issues) a better filter, or do they want the better filter?

The ones that need or want the better one, I recommend the AprilAir 2200. The others we go with the AirBear or UltraVision. The reason for the AprilAir is that it has lots more sq/ft of filtering area (if you were to flatten out the accordian filtering element). IMO this translates into a filter that takes longer to plug up with dirt... which means it can have a higher MERV rating and last as long or longer. Also, the AprilAir element is about the same price as an AirBear element. Most of my installations require 2 filter changes a year.

Hope this helps.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Ok good. The best bid I've received so far has included the Aprilaire 2200. Makes my decision that much more easy.

if we're talking media type filter, I've always been a fan of the f100f. I like how its constructed, the cabined is nice and sturdy. Asthetically, its less is more. And lets not forget about that wonderful April Aire combed filter. Although Honeywell now makes a media cartridge insert. This is just my opinion but I've never been a big fan of the electronic air cleaners although if I were forced to choose one I'd probably pick carriers Infinity air purifier. You can get more information on it at www.carrier.com.