Thread: Contractor Don'ts to Prospective Clients

Post Likes

Contractor Don'ts to Prospective Clients

Good Day everyone,

First off I know the rules no advice no prices!!

I will be the first to admit I am a complete novice with HVAC, however I am smart enough and do my due diligence when making a purchase and I know when things are about to get wonky.

Background:

Our 1983 York 3 ton A/C/furnace is on its last leg, how do I know this you ask? Well 1) It’s a 1983 York 2) It's R-22, and c) it has a small leak and that costs a fortune to fill every 2 years. My wife is pregnant, it’s August in Kansas City, and I am out of town several weeks; so it's inevitable this sucker is going down and I will have a hotter than usual pregnant wife. So I am doing my research on brands and from the advice on this forum and I have come to the conclusion that brands are one thing to look at but more importantly the best system on the market will perform horribly if not installed properly.

So I asked my friends on Facebook and received over 40 referrals for HVAC “Professionals” in the Kansas City area ranging from a one man shop to the largest residential HVAC firm. I have compiled a list of things seasoned contractors or anyone thinking of becoming a contractor should not say or do to a prospective client.

1. Do NOT quote me a price for a system over the phone without making a site visit. You trusted me to tell you how big my system was and the clearance of my air handler/furnace.

2. Just because I tell you I want be cooler do not just up-size my system to compensate.

3. When I ask how long a typical install will take DO NOT tell me your installs are quicker because you don’t perform a recovery of the R-22 because it’s just a “guideline” and not needed in all jurisdictions. Pretty sure KC is in the USA and the EPA has jurisdiction.

4. Do not ask to see the other bids I have received so you can be competitive on the price. I have no problem showing you the equipment proposed, but you need to be confident in your price and give me the best price the first time. One thing I truly dislike is haggling, I have told everyone you get one shot at the price so sharpen up those pencils, because when I call you to let you know you didn’t get the job the last thing I want to do is haggle.

5. I have no issue with criticizing other professionals work however make a few comments and move on. Please do not spend the entire site visit on why the other installer “sucked”. If I do choose you believe me I will post pics of the install from start to finish on this forum and make sure I forward all comments to you anonymously.

To finish there have been several companies that have bent over backward to ensure all of my questions have been answered and have been delightful to work with. This is a major purchase and all but a few contractors have realized this and have given me nothing but superior service in the bidding process. I just thought some of you might enjoy reading this and have a few comments of your own.

GE

Post Likes
    Being a Contractor myself you've got a pretty good head start and you are doing fine.

Being a Husband who also had a pregnant wife and no a.c a number of years ago, I also know of what you speak.

Some things to remember

1) Most manufacturers offer a 10 year parts warranty on their equipment if registered online with 90 days of installation. We as a company do it for the customer and provide them with the paperwork showing it was registered. I can't tell you how important it is for you to do it if they don't. It will revert to a 5 year part warranty if not registered in the timeframe allowed.

2) Make sure you are getting the proper system with the efficency that is promised to you. A AHRI Number or better yet a certificate printed out and given to you with model numbers of your equipment to assure you are getting what you are paying for.

An AHRI-matched system is recorded by AHRI as a properly matched system. Only upon performance verification is a certification symbol applied to HVACR products to serve as visual statements of conformance. AHRI certification means its efficiency and capacity ratings have been verified by AHRI, the governing trade association for the Heating and Air Conditioning Industry.

3) If you live in an area where you need a permit to install a furnace or a/c or whatever insist on the Permit being pulled and have an inspector come to your home to check the installation.

Don't let them tell you awww we don't need to pull a permit.....Insist

3. Likes gregoryewy, ziggyhere liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply,

We have had several contractors that said they will take care of the paperwork because many of the units have the 10 year warranty, that will be one less thing to take care of.

I have asked that the system be a matched system. I have heard some horror stories of systems installed that were not matched especially when going in for warranty work

I have also asked for a cased coil. My current system is an uncased coil built into the supply duct work. I can only imagine what the coil looks like after 30 years and it does not seem to make diagnosing issues or leaks very easy.

Luckily our jurisdiction does not require a permit, but several of the surrounding cities do and have no problem kicking a contractor off the job until the permit is in hand.

GE

Post Likes
    here's the other type of customer... the "tire kicker/user"

my (former) customers tend to get pissed off when they get my quote, reject it, and then call me to complain. All they get to every complaint is "ok". you know the ones - "you're too expensive", "im calling someone else", etc.

apparently, im only good for service and telling the facts as they lie, but when it comes to an exceptional install, with every detail taken and noted, im not good enough. hmm.. "OK!"

enjoy your hack work. (this is not directed at the original poster)
    Nest is POO!!

6. Likes gregoryewy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It sounds like you do your homework, which is great. I only wish more homeowners were more diligent especially when it comes to such an important and expensive purchase. A lot of people tend to think of their HVAC system as a dishwasher or refrigerator.

One thing I always encourage homeowners to do is look into purchasing a 10-year parts and labor warranty. I hate to say, but they don't build 'em like they used to. Even if a control board or motor dies in that 10 years, the warranty will pay for itself.

8. Likes gregoryewy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Well done. I am surprised you call the bidders you don't want. Every bid I give I get two types of calls. Approval or negotiations. .. I've never gotten a call turning down the bid.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

10. Likes gregoryewy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    No need to recover... wow. The epa fines are substantial...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

12. Likes gregoryewy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    Well done. I am surprised you call the bidders you don't want. Every bid I give I get two types of calls. Approval or negotiations. .. I've never gotten a call turning down the bid.
    I want to be courteous to the contractor. They spent their time working the numbers, and who knows I might need their services in the future.

Post Likes
    kudos to you polling your friends & fb friends
    for hvac companies!

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in