Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lusker View Post
    I smell troll
    Could be a new member entering with a bang up of a joke thread.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by Lusker View Post
    I smell troll

No doubt!
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by cheapdude123 View Post
    Hi,
    I just had a service tech leave my house... he said run cap is bad needs to be replaced. Then he goes on to tell me the repair will cost $145! I checked online and it looks like these things cost $5-10 bucks max! I can't imagine much labor is involved in this... I think that's a bit much. I'm thinking about buying one online and doing it myself... How would I go about installing it? Does "one size fit all" for capacitors? I'm really hot and short on money but would rather wait and order to part than spend more than I need to. Highway robbery if you ask me...Then he told me I should think about replacing since it's 24 years old... huh?
    Thanks...
    I know what you mean man, two years ago I went to the dentist to have a root cannal. Cost me $675 what a rip off next time I'm gonna do it my slef. By the way what size drill bit is that? doe's one size fit all the teeth?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    I know what you mean man, two years ago I went to the dentist to have a root cannal. Cost me $675 what a rip off next time I'm gonna do it my slef. By the way what size drill bit is that? doe's one size fit all the teeth?
    ROFL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post

Twilli says 3/8 unless your one of those big horse teeth women from Florida then its 1/2 in.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says 3/8 unless your one of those big horse teeth women from Florida then its 1/2 in.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Talking

is this a joke,you mean to tell me you did not fix this your self, oh yeah you dont have the tools or the knowledge to do so. I still cant believe you are setting in your cool house criping about about the $$$$$, next time call someone else and then you can gripe when it took them 3 day to get there to work on it and you have to call them back because the teck did not have the training to fix it properly.

Oh, my mistake I thought you paid for the service? It must be getting hot in there! If you want to save money you don't have to have it fixed, that will save on the utility bill.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cheapdude123 View Post
    How would I go about installing it? Does "one size fit all" for capacitors? ...Then he told me I should think about replacing since it's 24 years old... huh?
    Have fun playing next to the 230v/40amp contactor and if you don't hook it up right you get to learn how to replace the motor it was juicing.

You should also keep that 24 year old unit. They don't build 'em like they used to. Besides it's more cost effective to just rebuild them every couple of years. You might want to start stock piling r22.

~smoke~
    "That motor's done, he let the factory smoke charge out!"

Sounds cheap to me...

Good luck finding someone cheaper. Usually when I have to call someone out to my house for a repair (plumbing, roof, etc) and you usually have to agree to a "minimum service charge". I suppose you could always load up your AC in the back of your truck and drive it to an HVAC shop. Then I am sure they will cut you a break. Since you didn't pay them anything, I don't see how you got ripped off....

I did once have an HVAC guy try to rip me off. I had a AC that cooled very poorly. I called someone out, and he looked at the system and told me the following: The previous owners had a large dog that confused the condenser as a fire hydrant which damaged some of the fins on the condenser. He also said that the evaporator coil was dirty and needed to be acid washed. I could see how these two issues could cause some loss of efficiency, but, the system was bearly working.

Red flags went up when he was bragging how we "passed" a setup by a local TV station catching crocked repair people. (They popped loose a panel tripping an interlock in an attic unit at an elderly lady's house). He went as far as bragging how he found it right away and didn't charge anything but others wanted hundred's to fix the problem.

He put some refrigerant in and said that should help, left me with a quote to replace the evaporator coil and condenser, collected a check and went on his way.

A few months later, I called someone else out and they found the real problem. The original installers did not mount the evaporator correctly. It was laying down in the air handler instead of up at an angle. So air blew over the coil instead of through it.

If your guy wanted to rip you off he would have told you that the refrigerant was stale as well and needed to be replaced. Instead, on your 24 year old unit, he told you all that was wrong was a $Removed part. Sucks to have to pay $Removed labor for a $Removed part, but that is just how it is sometimes.

Anytime you can get a skilled trade person out to your house for less then $Removed, consider yourself lucky.
    Last edited by HeyBob; 08-08-2008 at 06:50 AM. Reason: See above

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    No doubt!
    OK, he's a troll. They can tell each others scent
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

you were told the cost
    you turned it down
    you refuse to pay for diagnostic
    you still have no ac
    you come here to complain and put down one of us maybe