Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Got Ripped Off By Service Tech Today

Hi,
    I just had a service tech leave my house... he said run cap is bad needs to be replaced. Then he goes on to tell me the repair will cost xxx I checked online and it looks like these things cost xxx bucks max! I can't imagine much labor is involved in this... I think that's a bit much. I'm thinking about buying one online and doing it myself... How would I go about installing it? Does "one size fit all" for capacitors? I'm really hot and short on money but would rather wait and order to part than spend more than I need to. Highway robbery if you ask me...Then he told me I should think about replacing since it's 24 years old... huh?
    Thanks...
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 08-07-2008 at 10:44 PM.

You're onto us. You busted open the conspiracy.

Sounds cheap to me....It probably cost the company at least $60 just to visit your place the first time based on their burden rate (wholesale cost of paying wages, benefits, travel expenses, admin costs).

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    You are really in the wrong place for this,call around doesn't sound out of line to me.

Plus prices aren't allowed on this site.

At least you admit your a dumb@ss.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RDP View Post
    At least you admit your a dumb@ss.
    Thats what I was thinking

A good electrocution only happens once
    Knowledge comes with experience

Stop

Stop being cheap.

Dear Mr. Cheapdude123,

I'm responding to your post expressing dismay about our prices. Yes, we do charge more than some other companies in the area, though not as much as others. I make no apologies for our pricing. I learned a long time ago that it is far better to offer a more expensive, quality service and explain our prices every once in a while than to skimp and have to live with a reputation for poor quality forever.

It is precisely because we share this concern and that of our clients request for up front pricing that we have implemented our up front pricing system.

Up front pricing is relatively new to the plumbing, heating and air-conditioning industry, but it is Old Hat to the appliance repair, automotive industries, Doctors and Dentists, actually most professional service industries use it.

Based on 25 years experience and over one million completed jobs, we now build the price for each job type by applying the material, average labor, overhead and profit to each of these jobs. With this system, our clients now get what they truly want,The cost before the work is performed. Nor do you pay extra if our technician takes longer than the average amount of time required performing the work.

By removing the unknown of how much the job is going to cost, we believe you are better able to make the decision of whether or not to have the work done. Up-Front Pricing also gives you peace of mind, because you are not watching the clock and wondering is this man ever going to finish? Or how much is this going to end up costing me, And it allows our people the time to do the job right the first time and to leave your home as clean or cleaner then it was before he arrived

Why do we charge more that some? It's a fair question. Let me endeavor to answer. First, our prices are not set by happenstance. They aren't set to the level we think the market will bear. Neither are they set to the level our competitors charge (that is price fixing and illegal). Our prices are set so that we can keep one dime out of every dollar after taxes. I think that's fair.

The fact is that our prices are based on our costs and only our costs. 4 times a year we sit down with our accountant and adjust our prices based on his experience and knowledge over our overhead. Out of every dollar we charge, we must pay for:

X Our technician's salary, we only hire the best so we can provide you with the best service.
    X His worker's compensation,
    X His social security, his medical benefits,
    X His uniform,
    X Ongoing training,
    X Tools
    X The truck and proper maintenance
    X The finance charges on the inventory he carries,
    X The gas in the truck,
    X The insurance for the truck,
    X Our business insurance,
    X Our state licenses,
    X Our telephone line charges and telephone system,
    X Our Service Manager to answer the phones and dispatch the technicians (keeping track of the progress of every job to keep you informed when you can expect the technician) and their overhead,
    X Our computers and our software,
    X Office workers to enter information into the computers and their overhead,
    X Accounting,
    X Billing,
    X Tax and legal services,
    X An after hours answering service,
    X Yellow pages advertising and other advertising media you may have used to contact us,
    X Membership in professional and trade organizations,
    X Reserves to ensure we can honor all of our warranties and guarantees,
    X People to fill out dozens of forms and reports for various government regulators, taxes,
    X And on and on it goes.

It costs a lot of money to run an organization that is prepared to respond promptly (or at least respond the same day) to people like you who call us in a crisis because they do not have their A/C or Heat working. You don't want to wait three days, until we can get around to it. That means we need extra resources standing by. Resultantly, faster service is more expensive.

Yes, there are some in our community that charges less and more. There are some that hire less qualified personnel, who make lots of mistakes and must go back and correct them. There are some that do not train their workforce to keep them up to speed with current codes and practices. There are some that drive beat up old trucks, which will leak oil all over your driveway or in front of your home. There are some that do not conduct background checks on their employees or perform drug tests to ensure that you won't have to worry about a service technician returning at night to rob you to support a drug habit (please do not scoff; this is a very real problem in our industry). There are some that do not carry the proper level of insurances to protect you in the event of a catastrophe. There are some that cut lots of corners.

It is each consumers decision what type of company they wish to establish a professional business relationship with. Many with a professional full service company like ours, and some with the bare-bones type of A/C and Heating company. That is what makes the Free Enterprise System work.

I can understand how you might be upset. If you walked into a nice steak house for dinner, you might also be upset to learn that you could have gotten a dinner at buffet style restaurant for far less. Different businesses charge different prices for what appear to be similar products and services every day. Yet, rarely are the products and services truly the same. There are always differences.

When you called us, you may not have wanted the quality of service and level of protection we offer. You did want our speed of response, however. The problem is that the quality of service, level of protection, and speed of response we provide come together as a package. We can't break them apart or isolate one aspect of our service from another.

I think it is fair to say that you understood what the cost was when you agreed to the service, just like you understand what the cost of a dinner is when you order from the menu at a restaurant. When you order a dinner and eat the meal, I doubt you try to walk out on the check even though you might think it's pricey. I would hope you give us the same consideration. We rip nobody off!

I'm not here to make excuses. I merely wanted to offer an explanation. I hope you have a better understanding than you did when you called. If, for example, your bill was $350, it cost us $315 to provide you with that service, including taxes. We will only keep $35. I think that is fair!
    Thank you for your time and understanding.

Sincerely,
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

This one has got to be a troll. Probably FE since someone had to go starting a thread about him and getting him all riled up again.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Twilli says $5.00 to $10.00 bucks for a cap? Thats a rip, they only cost about .38 cents. Call Twilli and Twilli will ship you one. Total cost .38 plus .02 for tax and $169.00 shipping. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh No refunds on electrical parts.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Twilli says 2 jokers at once and a Nazi too. We're piling on
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Dude

Don't be asking for advice here! Stop crying the blues.

I have so much That I want to say but I will hold my tong on this. But this is why the country is in such bad shape now people like this. I would say please try to open a business and see how hard it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast